Need Help

I whant to create my own Windows XP. I whant some help with the boot end welcome screans. I intend to chenge them, and after install my new windows I need to be My own images on boot and welcome screen not the original. How i cand do this? and instaling the extra softwhare how i do it?? i put the kit inside or de instaled program??? Plese help

Hum, the screens seem to be saved in ntoskrnl.exe and logonui.exe, you can use Resource Hacker to replace them, then use "makecab" to pack them as .ex_ files and replace the same installation files under i386. I have not changed these files. Good luck.

While lgs lfzz is on the right track, there is a bit more to it than what he explained. with replacing the boot screen, you need to take into account whether or not the PC you are installing to is single or dual processor. With a single processor, replacing the ntoskrnl will suffice, but if you have a dual processor, you need to replacer other files too. I cannot go into detail with that aspect, as I have not figured this one out myself.

You can use resource hacker to do this, or Boot Editor, both of which I have used with success. If you want the boot screen to appear right off the bat, you will need to use makecab to create a cab file, which has the extension ex_. once this is done, you also will need to fix the checksum. Again, I cannot go into detail on this, but I believe you will need a certain software loaded on your machine in order to do this. Check around on this forum for more info, that's how I found out about it.

Once you have fixed the checksum, you should place the ntoskrnl.ex_ in your I386 folder, overwriting the original. This will make it so your new bootscreen shows up immediately.

The logon screen is done with a very similar process, though it is a bit easier to do. Open it with resource hacker, and simply replace the bitmap, with your own custom picture. Then you can makecab, and fix the checksum. Place this file in the I386 directory also.

Altenatively, if you don't mind not seeing the boot and logon until the first boot after everything is installed, you can take the full files(not cab files) and place them in an sfx archive. Make sure that you have the path correct to install. You can make a folder called windows, place a system32 folde inside of that one, and then place your two files inside of system32. Then you simply zip this windows folder up, and create a self extracting archive, and place it in the folder on the disc that you have your other software in. My software is installed from a folder called auto.

Then, when you write your runonce, or install bat, or what ever option you choose, make sure you place a line in it that tells the PC to execute this sfx archive.

If you use an Install.bat file, you should put a line that looks something like this:

START /WAIT "%CDROM%\AUTO\bootlog.exe"

This will tell the PC to look for your archive, and execute it. If you have made the archive correctly, it should extract to the system32 folder in your windows directory. Then, after you reboot, you will see your new screens.

To get a very detailed explanation of this process, take a look at the MSFN unattended guide, which is available here:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/1/

Hope this helps you out a bit

Peace

I done it and it work, but I can`t find the resurce hacker, and i use ExeScope. I resolve the problem. 10x a milion

Glad to hear you solved the problem. But for future use, here is my copy of resource hacker for you. I needed to upload it to megauploads, because it's too big for this site. So here is the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8ZRH8GIM

If you want a shortcut in your startmenu, you will need to make one yourself. This isn't an install file, it's the software. you can run it right from the folder it extracts to.

Edited by daladim