Why has creating a second user account slowed down my pc?

dwarfer

I've always used the classic windows logon screen. It always used to start up and you'd barely see the logon screen before you got to the desktop and explorer had loaded up (It automatically logs on to the administrator account). Now I have created a second 'limited' account. Now the logon screen stays up for about 10 seconds (Windows is starting up) and then when it finally logs on the background displays but it is a good 2 minutes before the explorer process starts up.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

Edited by dwarfer

Every time?

Not sure, but I think First Time Logon it 'll always be slow (building the new "profile" for the New User), then it's a little "better" next time.

Also, if Fast User Switching is enabled, and one logs on then another, this'll impact "sign-on performance" (for want of a better term).

It takes longer on the admin account, if I turn off auto logon and log onto the limited account the problem doesn't occur.
?? Upon new ("clean") install of XP, the Administrator account is usually only accessible in Safe Mode. The Master ("Owner") account is created (in addition to standard Administrator) and is also an Administrator. Autologon is "on" at this point. When the "Owner" creates a "Limited" account, Auto-logon should be "turned off" (it does this on its own). Now a Sign-on Screen will always appear. With multiple accounts, you should't have Auto-Logon enabled.

Your statement is not too clear on that... and AutoLogon should NOT be enabled if there is more than one ("normal mode", as opposed to "safe mode") user. If you've somehow managed this, then XP is probably beating its brains out trying to "bypass" loading the Limited User (dunno about that).

How's it respond with AutoLogon disabled for either account (Owner/Admin or Limited)?

Upon new ("clean") install of XP, the Administrator account is usually only accessible in Safe Mode.
I think that and most the rest of your post is only valid for XP Home.
Interesting... just fired up other PC (XP Pro loaded 2wks ago) into Safe Mode - 2 ID's show - "Administrator" (the "hidden one") and "submix8c" (the "owner")...

Guess it must really be "Home Edition"... :blink:

edit -

@Ponch - My mistake... XP Pro "hides" the Admin account once a new user is added or the "guest" account is activated. XP Home "forces" you to add at least one user account (usually the "owner") which is by default an administrator and the Admin account is then "hidden" as in XP Pro "rule". (correct?)

Guess I must be confuzzing myself during multi-testing installs...

Edited by submix8c