Want to connect to Internet via p2p

nouky

Hello,

This is my scenario;

I have my desktop pc and it connects to my laptop via a cable(p2p-connection). My laptop connects to the internet via wireles network.

How can I configure my network so my desktop pc can get internet via my laptop??

Laptop & Desktop pc uses WinXp OS

Laptop

WIFI:

Assigned by DHCP

Ip address: 192.168.1.100

subnet mask:255.255.255.0

gateway:192.168.1.1

LAN:

Ip address: 192.168.0.1

Desktop pc

LAN:

Ip address: 192.168.0.2

nouky

actually, if the EXTERNAL interface is wireless, but the INTERNAL interface is wired (the one we'll be using to connect to the LAN), ICS might work - I've never tried it, as I don't have a wireless device I want to mess with at the moment, but it just might work.

actually, if the EXTERNAL interface is wireless, but the INTERNAL interface is wired (the one we'll be using to connect to the LAN), ICS might work - I've never tried it, as I don't have a wireless device I want to mess with at the moment, but it just might work.

that'll teach me quoting you without giving credits :D

ICS cannot share a wireless connection, only wired.

Still that seemed confirmed by others in the rest of the thread ?:}

The problem is, you can't share an INTERNAL wireless connection (well, not easily) via ICS. However, I'm not sure this has ever been tried where the connection to the internet is actually the wireless link, and the connection to the internal machines is actually the wired link (this is backwards from what the poster in the linked thread was trying to do). I'm honestly not sure if it would work - my hunch is no, because it doesn't work the opposite way, but one has to try to find out.

Hey Ponch sorry man, I'm gratefull for all the replies.....seriously

When I qouted your message I really meant that the desktop doesn't get internet when I set the gateway to 192.168.0.1

If ICS doesn't work can my desktop get internet someway else?

nouky

If ICS doesn't work can my desktop get internet someway else?

Honestly, while this is a fun academic adventure, I would still strongly suggest using a wired or wireless router to utilize the internet instead of monkeying with ICS almost every time. It makes much more sense (and is far more secure) to bring the internet connection directly from the ISP into a wired or wireless router first, and then have all of your machines connect to that router directly.

totally agree with cluberti... even if you can get ICS to work, the general consensus is that it's unreliable, and far less efficient than a wired/wireless router.

good luck if you can get it working.