Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

D8TA

PXE without DHCP

Thanks for this information. When I attempt to boot I am getting an Invalid of corrupt kernel image. What should my pxelinux.cfg file look like? Mine looks like this.

LABEL winpe

KERNEL startrom.n12

APPEND initrd=winpe.iso

I have my winpe.iso in the root of my tftpboot directory.

First of all, your startrom.n12 should be renamed to startrom.0. The entry for winPE should look like this:

label winpe
kernel startrom.0

If your iso is in root directory, your winnt.sif should look like this:

[SetupData]
BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"
BootPath = "\I386\System32\"
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdexportascd /rdpath=winpe.iso"
Architecture = "I386"

Thanks for this information. When I attempt to boot I am getting an Invalid of corrupt kernel image. What should my pxelinux.cfg file look like? Mine looks like this.

LABEL winpe

KERNEL startrom.n12

APPEND initrd=winpe.iso

I have my winpe.iso in the root of my tftpboot directory.

First of all, your startrom.n12 should be renamed to startrom.0. The entry for winPE should look like this:

label winpe
kernel startrom.0

If your iso is in root directory, your winnt.sif should look like this:

[SetupData]
BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"
BootPath = "\I386\System32\"
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdexportascd /rdpath=winpe.iso"
Architecture = "I386"

Getting a little further along. Now no error but it just sits there. Not sure what is wrong. Maybe I need to try and create WinPE 2.0 image file, iso. Does this method work for booting other iso's?

Yes, I burned the iso to a CD and it does boot and run with no issues. I am wondering if there is something wrong with my startrom.0, ntdetect.com or ntldr file? I copied them from Server 2003 R2. It seems like it wants to but runs out of gas. :D

Perhaps you have a bad file, I'm not sure. Have you checked out your TFTP log to see what file its getting stuck on? It should try to read the files in this order:

startrom.0

ntldr

bootfont.bin (not needed)

ntdetect.com

winnt.sif

winpe.iso