Workgroup File Sharing - unsuccessful

udornf4

I have 5 computers all networked with the same "workgoup name" I can see all of them in Network Neighborhood - along with their standard shared folder.

Internet works fine on the Wireless Network for all computers (not encrypted - yet)

All runinng XP Pro

All computer names have no spaces (as required by MS)

Print and file sharing is turned on all all puters (and I have verified full permissions to read and write)

One computer (out of five) will "let me in" to the shared folder - the 4 others say that I am "not allowed and the server is full" - or something to that effect.

Firewalls (and corresponding exceptions) are set the same for all computers - I have checked the detail for all the Networking properties of all computers and they are the same.

I don't have any aftermarket firewalls - as McAfee or norton.

What am i missing here?

Thanks!!!

If I remember correctly (some info from somewhere on MSFN?), each computer has to have all User-Id's (unique to each computer) defined.

Example:

User1 and User2 are defined on both Machine1 and Machine2; User1 signs onto Machine1 and User2 signs onto Machine2. Voila! (works for me this way). It's one thing to "share" a folder (it can be "seen"), another thing to allow access (for given users/groups). Just a common workgroup name doesn't work.

BTW, I tried "Full Access: to "Everyone", but it doesn't "stick". Have to define another "group", add "group" to Folder Permissions, assign "Full Access" to that new "group" and assign all relevant users (after defining them) to that "group".

Or if you a "nervy" (I ain't) assign the set of users as "Admins" and do above...

HTH

Edited by submix8c

If I remember correctly (some info from somewhere on MSFN?), each computer has to have all User-Id's (unique to each computer) defined.

Example:

User1 and User2 are defined on both Machine1 and Machine2; User1 signs onto Machine1 and User2 signs onto Machine2. Voila! (works for me this way). It's one thing to "share" a folder (it can be "seen"), another thing to allow access (for given users/groups). Just a common workgroup name doesn't work.

BTW, I tried "Full Access: to "Everyone", but it doesn't "stick". Have to define another "group", add "group" to Folder Permissions, assign "Full Access" to that new "group" and assign all relevant users (after defining them) to that "group".

Or if you a "nervy" (I ain't) assign the set of users as "Admins" and do above...

HTH

That's right. You need to setup a common login name on all of the PC's and have the passwords match as well. This way when you try to connect PC1 to PC2 as "user1" with password "xxxxx" and it uses your cached credentials it will pass through. As long as firewalls are set to allow file and print sharing you should be fine.

Just to verify you did turn off simple file sharing? (Control Panel/Folder Options/View/Last option in the list) Make sure that is unchecked.

• 2 weeks later...

disable that crappy welcome screen

make sure simple file sharing is turned off

ensure each account has a password

try to map to the other machines.

a.k.a

\\comp1(or ip address)\c$ - and use a known user account with password on the remote machine

if that doesn't work we need to go deeper