Does Windows Server 2003 crash upon motherboard replacement?

djzn

Hi, I have this issue:

Recently I changed my motherboard to a new board and for my surprise, Windows XP wouldn't load at all, not even in Safe Mode for the life of me. All I would see was as very quick flash of a blue screen with NT error codes. Of course I fixed it by reformatting but we don't want to format right?

Does this also happens with W2K3?

Is W2K3 robust enough to take on a motherboard replacement? Or will it CRASH and die and the only fix will be a reformatting or some dirty trick workaround?

Thanks!!!

u may get lucky if it runs the same chipset, but most the time it wont work, windows goes belly up with a different mothboard - drivers etc - big issue, and for stabability, always re-format after installing a new board, I do.

I don't want to go through this ever...

So you're saying that all Windows versions are doomed into this issue?

I really want someone that know this for a fact, about Windows Server 2003...

I don't want XP-guys commenting their experiences with XP. (for me XP already sucked... don't want to know about it anymore).

Edited by djzn

ANY windows NT based system has problems if a motherboard replacement is carried on WITHOUT using the PROPER procedure:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

XP and 2003 are equally "sensible" to this.

2000 is a bit less, and NT 4.00 is yet a bit less.

There are minor differences related to Licenses and OEM discs, but nothing really substantial.

There are no compromises on this, you either follow the procedure or system won't boot.

(and yes, I know all the above for a fact ;))

jaclaz

Does this also happens with W2K3?

Yes - no version of Windows can perform magic and make one chipset driver that's installed work on another chipset. What you are asking is just not possible. If you want to replace a motherboard, replace it with the exact same one (or at least the same chipset and processor type). Otherwise, yes, you are "doomed". Drivers just don't work this way (it's not a Windows problem).

I thought that there was a possibility to skip the old chipset drivers load-up at the first boot, disabling them and only after that installing the new ones... but Win won't even start in safe mode....

I thought that there was a possibility to skip the old chipset drivers load-up at the first boot, disabling them and only after that installing the new ones... but Win won't even start in safe mode....

No, drivers for devices like disks and memory controllers, processor, etc load with the kernel right before the splash screen shows up. So, that would explain not being able to boot in safe mode, either. You could uninstall the drivers before moving motherboards, but that obviously isn't an option if the system dies.

I don't want XP-guys commenting their experiences with XP.
I would watch my words there if I was you. No negative discrimination on this board.

I think you took this very personal.

When I said that it was for people who have only used XP be freed to comment whatever experiences that would not apply to my specific question, I really was asking for restricted W2K3 user experience. And I know that a couple of newbies could come and say "just reformat it", or "just make a repair install". In the first place I was not asking for a "solution", but the possibility to never go through this again. It is not personal against XP users. I don't see as discrimination.

@djzn

Being actually more like a "Win2k-guy" I do not feel offended at all ;), but, if I may, you started the question in a rather "queer" way.

Actual question "should" have been:

How can I change hardware on a XP (or 2003) running machine without re-installing?

And I actually gave you the answer to that question.

Your post sounded more something like:

Look guys, I'm no newbie, I know I'll get a lot of senseless replies on this thread, which I won't even read because I already know every trick of the trade, so don't waste your time posting them.

I already tried doing this and it does not work, anyone tried doing the same with 2003 and succeeded?

I only want to see replies that I like and that confirm my theory!

And, as I see it, this is not the most "friendly" way to access a technical board.

You see, it is quite normal that posting a question on a technical board will produce a number of "wrong" or "out of topic" replies, but a good alternative exists, called "Technical Consultant".

Unfortunately it has the slight drawback that it costs some $50 per hour or per call, but since you pay for it, you are allowed, within limits, to ask for ONLY the exact answers you want to hear.

The main thing on a board like this is in my opinion to exchange ideas and informations, and possibly have fun while doing it, :) and a more "plain" approach surely helps.

jaclaz