vLite v1.1(.1) Final - Uptight as 7

nuhi

Hi again,

Tested vlite extreme, though to start it was quite a prob.

Some problems to report:

1. UAC removal was updated but for me it does not work. Though I fully removed UAC, I was still able to get to the panel to disable it. See attached files.

2. Another problem related with UAC is with eventlog. See picture, it is self-explanatory.

3. reenabling uac and restarting brings huge probs. Event log does not start, and snipping tool as well. so I could not make any pictures.

4. Power and sleep button tweak does not work as well. Fields are blank, see picture and after restart they are back to default.

Dino,

I figured out what breaks the parttion header. I removed distributed link tracking client in extreme (another, not this) version. After using vista for week or so I get ntfs event in event log6 telling it is not recoverable.

After that I can not get access to partition c during fresh install, I wrote You about that. I think removing ntfs volume tracking client service is a culprit. Removing it can make fresh install problematic if ntfs related error will appear in eventlog.

Sorry for those news,

Alex

post-30418-1201070338_thumb.jpg

post-30418-1201070375_thumb.jpg

post-30418-1201070388_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alex

3. reenabling uac and restarting brings huge probs. Event log does not start, and snipping tool as well. so I could not make any pictures.

Yes, I noticed that, too. If you re-enable UAC after having it removed, you can not launch any commands or programs, that UAC normally asks for if you really want to continue. There is no UAC-message, but no action as well. But I think when you remove UAC, you should know what you do and NEVER re-enable it again. :)

Alex, what do you mean the switch doesn't work, there is no complications other than actually adding the switch.

Maybe you don't know that only Winsxs removal is added by Extreme.

Read the red tagged UAC removal description:

"...Warning: do not enable UAC from the Control Panel once removed, it will just lock the UAC-dependent options.";

Please don't say funny things like removing Distributed Link corrupting a partition header, there is no way in hell.

""Distributed Link Tracking services track the creation and movement of linked files across NTFS-formatted volumes and servers."

Maybe your hard disk is dying, try some S.M.A.R.T. report.

Awesome! No issues with UAC this time round, but I have noticed I still get a bug with the language settings, like in the RC version... if I specify the language and keyboard settings in the unattended setup tab (I use the United Kingdom settings) then Vista decides to use Welsh as the defaults once it's installed :wacko: If you leave the regional settings as Prompt instead of specifying though, it works fine and welsh doesn't appear.

Worked fine in vlite1.1beta2 though, so I dunno whether its caused by removing one of the new features or not!

Hi again,

1. With RC version after UAC removal it was not possible even to get to the UAC panel where You can change uac setting.

I thought uac removal update in final version means that even links to uac are removed. It seems strange that in finel version ability to get to uac tweak panel is back.

2. Why event log does not work properly? And complains about uac?

3. Hard disk is ok, I will test vista with Distributed Link Tracking service and report later if I still have the problem.

Best,

Alex

Alex,

1. parts which remove that access are used in Network Center and in Manage Other Users so it's a no brainer to keep it

2. Was that before you enabled/disabled the UAC or after? So that I can test it.

3. Don't bother with that idea, I wouldn't believe it even if you said it's true because it can't be.

Hi Dino,

1. If this is by design, and uac will be accessibble, it is ok for me. My mistake I decided that uac was not removed at all that's why I decided to enable it and check if ithis would remove error with eventlog.

2. Before reenabling, after reenabling it is impossible to access eventlog or any other prog.

3. That non-retryable error... What could cause it then? Or not component removal related? Any ideas? After that error partition c to fresh install is unaccessible...

Best,

Alex

Log Name: System

Source: Ntfs

Date: 1/2/2008 11:32:37 AM

Event ID: 137

Task Category: (2)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: NX-9420

Description:

The default transaction resource manager on volume C: encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Ntfs" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49156">137</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>2</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-01-02T09:32:37.730Z" />

<EventRecordID>2541</EventRecordID>

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>NX-9420</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>C:</Data>

<Binary>1C0004000200300002000000890004C000000000300019C000000000000000000000000000000000300019C0</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

Edited by Alex

Alex, you really don't give up on that silly idea that removing components can corrupt partition, that's so...ah gotta control myself.

Doing the searching for you I found other people complaining about the same NTFS issue under Vista, not related to vLite of course:

http://conorcahill.blogspot.com/2007/10/painful-vista.html

Awesome! No issues with UAC this time round, but I have noticed I still get a bug with the language settings, like in the RC version... if I specify the language and keyboard settings in the unattended setup tab (I use the United Kingdom settings) then Vista decides to use Welsh as the defaults once it's installed :wacko: If you leave the regional settings as Prompt instead of specifying though, it works fine and welsh doesn't appear.

Worked fine in vlite1.1beta2 though, so I dunno whether its caused by removing one of the new features or not!

I have the same problem lol, first noticed it in 1.1 RC

Edited by legolash2o

hey what the tinyest vista that could be made with 1.1 final ?

i did 1.08GB with server 2008 [winsxs remoeved too]

Name: Windows Longhorn (vLite) SERVERSTANDARD

Description: Windows Longhorn (vLite) SERVERSTANDARD

Flags: SERVERSTANDARD

Files: 11159

Folders: 1365

Expanded Size: 1081 MB

Edited by aviv00