XP SP2 bootable CD asking for SP2 CD in drive A

jeepnut

After running a base XP Pro SP2 installation through nLite I get a message on the first installation screen for me to "insert the windows XP SP2 CD in drive A:"

If I use my source installation I DO NOT get this message, after using nLite I do. Even if just making a bootable ISO, no patches/hotfixes, tweaks, settings, etc. Anyone seen this and/or know how to correct?

Thanks. So from what I gather my problem is that these tag files are not in the correct location. I tried putting the files in the root of the CD but this did not work. I had to create some of the file manually based on other files that did exist. They seem to only contain the work Windows followed by a space. Is there something more to these files? If so how do I get them as they do not exist on my source installation at all.

Thanks. So from what I gather my problem is that these tag files are not in the correct location. I tried putting the files in the root of the CD but this did not work. I had to create some of the file manually based on other files that did exist. They seem to only contain the work Windows followed by a space. Is there something more to these files? If so how do I get them as they do not exist on my source installation at all.

What type of Windows install is it?

You need to create a txt file called "WIN51"

and a file called "WIN51IP" If it is XP Pro or "WIN51IC" if it is home.

Then a third file with the extension of the servicepack:

"WIN51IP.SP3" (Pro) "WIN51IC.SP3" (Home)

all 3 of these files belong at the root of your disk (Right next to the "I386" directory.

If it is 2003 the files are different... but you can find the info on msfn.org.

Or you could simply READ the threads linked to, particularly:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...16381&st=18

2) Some "ident" files:
Win51 ident file is required for all windows version.

XP Professional :

Win51ip.sp1 - sp1 ident file

Win51ip.sp2 - sp2 ident file

XP Home :

Win51ic.sp1 - sp1 ident file

Win51ic.sp2 - sp2 ident file

Win51 will be present in the root of XP cd.

Other files will be generated after integrating xp installation with sp.

These are TEXT files you can make with Notepad:

- WIN51

- WIN51IP

- WIN51IP.SP1

Files WIN51 and WIN51IP contain the word "Windows" without the quotes, third file goes empty. You will probably have to set your Windows Explorer to show known file-extensions so you can delete/change the .txt-extension

This will prevent the CD asking "put the SPx CD into drive A:" during install.

WIN51IP.SP2 should be generated by the slipstreaming process, if it's not, simply make a copy of WIN51IP.SP1 and rename it to WIN51IP.SP2

(that's the idea of giving links) :blink:

On the other threads are infos on what to change to move them from ROOT of the CD.

jaclaz

• 2 years later...

Please don't shoot me for leaving this, but by now people should have been using SP3 and I don't always like to have things unconfusing for me. So I put it at the end of this thread in case people didn't search anywhere else. Here is my situation and what I have done.

I needed to have a XP Pro Install with SP3. I didn't want activation codes so that I could take it to the different OEM machines and they could use their respective codes:

I made a folder on my desktop called "XP_Source"

In it, I copied the i386 folder

I also created these files making sure there was no extensions (using Notepad and doing a file>save as with no .TXT and putting the file name in quotes)

WIN51 - In this had the word "Windows" on the actual text pad.

WIN51IC - In this had the word "Windows" on the actual text pad.

WIN51IC.SP2 - In this there was NOTHING on the actual text pad. (No text at all)

WIN51IC.SP3 - In this there was NOTHING on the actual text pad. (No text at all)

WIN51IP - In this had the word "Windows" on the actual text pad.

WIN51IP.SP2 - In this there was NOTHING on the actual text pad. (No text at all)

WIN51IP.SP3 - In this there was NOTHING on the actual text pad. (No text at all)

I then created my Nlite and pointed at the XP_Source folder, no errors popped up. I then selected "Unattended" and "Bootable ISO" on the next screen. The only thing that I did modify was the "Ask before downloading automatic updates".

I created the ISO

The XP Pro machine I did this on has a bad CD Burner, so I had to using another computer (useless info)

I Used Infrarecorder to burn the ISO to a blank disk.

Then I Changed the boot sequence in the computer I was doing this in, and viola no errors, problems. Worry free install. Thank you MSFN