Windows 98 Network Puzzle

bigjet

Greetings Win98 Group:

I have a Win98 home network with 3 machines (2SE, 1FE) connected by cable to a Linksys-G

router. All 3 machines share files with no problems, but only 2 will connect to the Internet.

The only difference I can see is, the 2 machines that connect to the Internet have an extra adapter

in NetworkNeighborhood-properties listed to non-existent devices bound to TCP/IP protocols.

The non-existent devices were second NICs in each machine connected to individual DSL

modems for the Internet. This arrangement worked well for several years - all 3 machines shared

files and connected to the Internet. When the Broadband router was installed, I yanked the

second NIC out of each machine. All 3 machines removed the adapter listing from the Device

Manager, but only one machine removed the adapter from "Client for Microsoft Networks" in the

Network Configuration listing - the machine that wont connect to the Internet.

The obvious answer is to stick the second NIC back into the machine that wont connect to the

Internet; but that entails running 100 feet of Cat5 cable throughout my house to accommodate the

redundant connection back to the router- not a very practical solution.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this Windows 98 odd-man-out behavior would be

greatly appreciated.

bigjet

I suppose your problem has something to do with a wrong default gateway or DNS. Can you post the output of winipcfg here? (Start->Run->Winipcfg, push the 'More info' button, hit Ctrl-C, paste here)