VMware Question and Problem

gd6noob

i have the VMware Workstation Ace Edition 6.0.1

i have the original untouched X64 XP Pro and it installs fine under the Windows XP Pro X64 with you selection "Which OS your installing" then when i stripped the OS and installed it it failed saying it cant find complatible hardware.. i thought i try to select Other OS, the stripped one installs... is this normal? is this how your suppose to test out the OS if you modded it?

i remade the OS adding some nForce drivers from nVidia which included the smBus and SATA/RAID drivers...

same thing happens, i can not intsall it under the Windows XP but only when i select OTHER X64 OS... is this normal?????? im confused

VMware doesn't count on users to remove default functionality, that's why it doesn't work after you ruined... ehm, editted your installation source using nLite. Your problem is nLite, not VMware. Ask at the nLite section of this forum, perhaps someone there can be of service. Adding drivers to your installation source doesn't matter for VMware, as VMware doesn't use your physical hardware, but virtual hardware for which VMware provides it's own drivers and such. I never understood why people would want to strip default functionality from their installation source using applications such as nLite. If you're concerned with disk space on your installation medium, simply use a DVD. Enough ranting from my side ;)

well its mostly of no use to me.. like the old msn messenger, rather installing OS with it then later removing, why no do it once coz i use Messenger Live which is the newer one, also IE and WMP for starters.. theres alot more others that i dont need to use a newer version... which is why..

but i was able to install my stripped one using VMware when using the Guest Operating System as Other X64 OS and not has a Guest using Windows XP PRO X64 which is confusing me

Thanx for the help

Edited by gd6noob

well its mostly of no use to me.. like the old msn messenger, rather installing OS with it then later removing, why no do it once coz i use Messenger Live which is the newer one, also IE and WMP for starters.. theres alot more others that i dont need to use a newer version... which is why..

You mean Windows Messenger. You can simply not make it install via your WINNT.SIF for example. What nLite does for a lot of things is not just simply not having something install, it sometimes removes a component completely from your source and this can create future problems, like what you're experiencing now. Tools such as nLite are in short meant to strip your source. If you don't want to strip your source, but instead simply have certain components not installed, other applications such as Internet Explorer 7 added, you don't need nLite to achieve this.