Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 32MB

I don't usually concern myself with benchmarks but both PuntoMX and another friend inspired me this once.

I just installed my new Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA2 32MB drive.

I did a benchmark to compare it to my existing Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB SATA2 8MB.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB SATA2 8MB (jumper off for SATA2)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA2 32MB (jumper on)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA2 32MB (jumper off for SATA2)

Thought you might find these interesting.

Most important difference between SATA and SATA2 mode is the CPU usage, went down from 10 to 4% on a X2 3800+ CPU.

Well, the difference between a 7200.9 and a7200.11 I don’t have to explain :P.

How is the noise level by the way?

How is the noise level by the way?

Well, my Antec P180 (which is a bit modded) sits under my desk in the corner of the livingroom and I usually have my headphones on when at the PC ans if not I don't pay attention.

During the initial boot-up with it installed as I was still sitting on the floor looking at everything, I didn't hear anything coming from the drive so I'd say it's silent/quiet.

Edited by Jeremy

Seagate have consistantly been louder then their Western Digital counterparts.

I used to be picky about noise but as I am about to be a father, if it doesn't sound like a constantly crying baby, I won't be paying any attention to it. :P

Seems like the right place to ask if anyone knows about the *real-world* differences between the Barracuda ES.2 and 7200.11?

I know the former is the 24/7 server version whereas the latter is destined for the desktop market. Marketing claims set aside, any tangible benefits to be gained from either one? At the moment I'm looking into buying a 250GB ES.2 as the 7200.11 series start with 500GB capacity - which I don't need.