System restore not working in Vista

mike13

System Restore is not working in Vista. I tried to set it up several time. I manually set up a restore point and it stays for the day. but it is gone the next day. When I go there, it tells me there are no restore points set up on this computer. Shouldn't it also by default, be stting up restore points every so often ?? Thanks, Mike

System Restore is not working in Vista. I tried to set it up several time. I manually set up a restore point and it stays for the day. but it is gone the next day. When I go there, it tells me there are no restore points set up on this computer. Shouldn't it also by default, be stting up restore points every so often ?? Thanks, Mike

How much free disk space do you have on the volumes system restore is protecting?

Info. Update---I noticed that the restore point remains after I shut down the computer AND start up Vista again. However, if I shut down the computer, and start XP which I have on the second hard drive, and then shut down and reboot to Vista, the restore point is gone, and I get the message that NO restore points have been set up on this computer. Does this help to analyze the problem. Thanks, Mike

I would have mentioned it, if I knew what was happening. Thanks for the link. I will try that Bitlocker method to fix the problem. It seems the easiest

October 23, 2007 is the link dated from.

I seriously discover this bug a year earlier and I'll explain what happening.

Since the introduction of Vista Microsoft decides to use a nieuw kind of logging transactions by th ACID method. That means Vista have to use TxF NTFS rather than the old system from XP, but that older system is more compatible with another software than TxF.

The bug; when Windows XP accesses the partition, the TxF becames out of sync and the volume is dirty. The shadowcopies from system restore are lost.

This issue is due to the TxF acces that only Vista could handle poperly.

Option: Wait for a suitable workaround OR make it a lot easier: ERUNT. Use ERUNT to make kopies of the registry and under Vista with admin rights it works like a charm and it won't take much space. You could even recover from the XP recovery console (Vlite disables the repair function?!!). Use the dot con file in the back-up directory and go.

Read the manual, Lars Hederer has work out all the scenarios to recover, the first real usable readme.txt I saw.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Yes, it operates even on our serverpark.

Want a dualboot? Use slides.

Edited by Extravert