Guide:How to modify install.wim

Tomorrow

ok i got the hang of this now thank you for a great tut 10/10 :) but i need to know what files to modify for logon and bootscreen basically what im trying to do is make a ultimate vista with custom themes, programs, boot screen, logon, etc i am hoping to get it done soon so i can upload it and share with everyone and one more thing how can i change the installer interface? if anyone can upload some files i would very very much appreciate it :thumbup

ok i got the hang of this now thank you for a great tut 10/10 :) but i need to know what files to modify for logon and bootscreen basically what im trying to do is make a ultimate vista with custom themes, programs, boot screen, logon, etc i am hoping to get it done soon so i can upload it and share with everyone and one more thing how can i change the installer interface? if anyone can upload some files i would very very much appreciate it :thumbup

Ban this guy :thumbdown

Read Forum Rules, you can't upload your custom made vista or anything, as its ILLEGAL and against forum rules...THIS IS NOT A WAREZ SITE!!!

Forum Rules

Edited by shahed26

Hi all,

New to these forums. Please excuse my ignorance.

Tomorrow: Great Tutorial!

My dilemma is that I have an HP recovery disc and i do not have the install.wim file.

All i have is Boot.wim and then a ton of other sequential .wim files. I was, however, able

to export and mount the final result.

I have attached two .txt files of the directory structure of the final result.

While reviewing your tutorial, I was unable to find anything about removing the HP junk (interface)

when installing from the recovery disc. All i truly want is the WinVista install files to, well..., install

vista and only vista.

I do not need Hp to automate the partitioning and formatting for me. I can do that!

Can you help me? Can anyone help me?

Thank you,

Cgman

vistadir.txt

winvistadir.txt

Hello, I'm new here, and I'm having a slight problem with following this tutorial.

I mount the .wim and follow all specified directions, remove and add what I care to do, etc. When I am finished and choose to unmount it does not do anything. Perhaps I am not patient enough (I've waited at least five minutes each time) for it to do its task, but I don't make too many changes and your tutorial says it should not take long.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, I'm new here, and I'm having a slight problem with following this tutorial.

I mount the .wim and follow all specified directions, remove and add what I care to do, etc. When I am finished and choose to unmount it does not do anything. Perhaps I am not patient enough (I've waited at least five minutes each time) for it to do its task, but I don't make too many changes and your tutorial says it should not take long.

Thanks in advance.

Select "commit" Make sure you select (click on the) image you mounted, and then click unmount.

Edited by shahed26

First id like to thank you for your intrest :hello:

Hi all,

New to these forums. Please excuse my ignorance.

Tomorrow: Great Tutorial!

My dilemma is that I have an HP recovery disc and i do not have the install.wim file.

All i have is Boot.wim and then a ton of other sequential .wim files. I was, however, able

to export and mount the final result.

I have attached two .txt files of the directory structure of the final result.

While reviewing your tutorial, I was unable to find anything about removing the HP junk (interface)

when installing from the recovery disc. All i truly want is the WinVista install files to, well..., install

vista and only vista.

I do not need Hp to automate the partitioning and formatting for me. I can do that!

Can you help me? Can anyone help me?

Thank you,

Cgman

Unfortunately i have no plans to support custom OEM versions of Vista with this tutorial.There are just too many and they change often.Its the same as vLite...only applies to and is promised to work with clean vista image.

Thanks in advance.

The unmounting time also depends and the size of the changes.Say you change 2.5GB of content by adding/deleting one file.It will then take longer to unmount then in another way when you changed 4000 files that are 50mb in size.Just be patient and make sure you did all the nessessary steps as shahed described.

Edited by Tomorrow

• 1 month later...
No matter what i try , i cant get my own theme to work , when i follow your guide , it shows classic theme after the setup. :unsure:

You can set the default theme using Autounattended.xml, but of course it (aero) may only work if you've made some sort of OEM dvd

<Themes>
<CustomDefaultThemeFile>%WINDIR%\resources\themes\VistaGlass.theme</CustomDefaultThemeFile>
</Themes>

No matter what i try , i cant get my own theme to work , when i follow your guide , it shows classic theme after the setup. :unsure:

You can set the default theme using Autounattended.xml, but of course it (aero) may only work if you've made some sort of OEM dvd

<Themes>
<CustomDefaultThemeFile>%WINDIR%\resources\themes\VistaGlass.theme</CustomDefaultThemeFile>
</Themes>

Setting it with the xml never worked, thats why i tried this method, wich also fails :(

Your Vista needs to be activated on 1st boot and the uXtheme files need to be overwritten/patched for aero to work

I know that , and thats not the problem.

The uxtheme files i replace in my wim.

the structure of the folders are proper?i mean if you double-click vistaglass.theme in an existing vista system from within \themes folder it opens the right theme?is it possible to choose vistaglass.msstyle?

.theme files are tricky

• 4 weeks later...

This problem is driving me gradually insane...

Every attempt i've made so far at following yr excellent tutorial has resulted in files being modified but no additions being made.

In other words, if i try to add anything to install.wim, such as themes of sidebar gadgets, then no changes are made. When i install and check those folders - they are empty. However, any chages i've made to existing files, eg - user account .bmp files and logon screen, are ok.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.