Guide:How to modify install.wim

Tomorrow

can someone please help me or show me how to convert png to ico, so i can use resource hacker to modify my icons in dll's or if there is a better shorter way to customize then please let me know. All i want to do is replace the icons in imageres.dll with high qaulity png icons that resource hacker does not support (png)

thank you

AveIcon

BTW any reason why I shouldn't mod (remove, integrate, etc) with vLite before attempting this?

And is it OK to do so after I do this?

Edited by ricktendo64

can someone please help me or show me how to convert png to ico, so i can use resource hacker to modify my icons in dll's or if there is a better shorter way to customize then please let me know. All i want to do is replace the icons in imageres.dll with high qaulity png icons that resource hacker does not support (png)

thank you

AveIcon

BTW any reason why I shouldn't mod (remove, integrate, etc) with vLite before attempting this?

And is it OK to do so after I do this?

I use Infranview to convert images etc.

The most important thing is to make the image so it holds only 1 edition of Vista(ex:Ultimate).If you use multi-edition vista and modify the .wim then there is no way to know to what vista edition the changes were applied.It may become chaotic.Custom wallpapers in Ultimate,cookies in Premium and so on.

When it comes to not modifying the image before .wim mounting then its pretty simple...why modify it before when you have to use vLite afterwards anyway to make a bootable .iso .Better make the changes with vlite after .wim unmounted and complete vLite modifying in 1 step instead of 2.

Edited by Tomorrow

i found this app "resource tuner" which support png direct modification of dll's. are there any limitations of this application compare to resource hacker? can i use resource tuner instead of resource hacker to modify icons?

When it comes to not modifying the image before .wim mounting then its pretty simple...why modify it before when you have to use vLite afterwards anyway to make a bootable .iso .Better make the changes with vlite after .wim unmounted and complete vLite modifying in 1 step instead of 2.
OH! so its just for convenience, it won't hurt if I decide to do the steps after vLite?

OH! so its just for convenience, it won't hurt if I decide to do the steps after vLite?

Yep.Pure convenience.You are free to do these steps after vLite.If some problems occur because of that(i doubt it but you never know until you`ve tried hehe)then report here :)

• 4 weeks later...

As a general tip for others, I have successfully been able to delete folders off of the install.wim mount using "Unlocker". I haven't deleted anything major...only start menu folders that I didn't want...but vista installed with all of my changes saved and all the folders that I deleted were actually deleted on the install.

Cheers!

--radigast

**Edit**There is also another location in install.wim where you need to go in order to get rid of/move around Start Menu shortcuts that is not listed above: .\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

**Also, if you go into all of the "My Videos", "My Pictures", "My Recorded TV Shows", etc... you can safely delete all of their samples. The sample videos and TV shows take up over 200MB!!!

Edited by radigast

If you add the contents of the ..\Gadgets folder to:

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets in .wim then they should be loaded automatically with sidebar after install.No installation or big configuring needed.

Do you mind telling how you managed to get gadgets added into the "Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets" folder? I am attempting, and whenever I go to copy ANY of my custom gadgets here, I receive the following error:

Error Copying File or Folder: Cannot create or replace Settings: Acces is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I and using WAIK and GImageX, and it seems (as you mentioned above) that the entire "Program Files" folder is locked.

So, again, how did you manage to get your gadgets to copy into here?

**Edit: Duh. I forgot to check "Read and Write" and "Commit Changes" in GImageX. Stupid stupid stupid.

Edited by radigast

As a general tip for others, I have successfully been able to delete folders off of the install.wim mount using "Unlocker". I haven't deleted anything major...only start menu folders that I didn't want...but vista installed with all of my changes saved and all the folders that I deleted were actually deleted on the install.

**Also, if you go into all of the "My Videos", "My Pictures", "My Recorded TV Shows", etc... you can safely delete all of their samples. The sample videos and TV shows take up over 200MB!!!

Thats some great info.I will include link to Unlocker in the first post when i update the guide.

When it comes to "My Videos", "My Pictures", "My Recorded TV Shows", etc then those can be deleted with vLite.Granted...the folders remain witch is annoying so easier to delete folders alltogether with Unlocker.

Another guide update is imminent :lol: .

If all goes well i will update the guide in this weekend.Possible(although not final) list of additions includes:

*Changing registry settings in install.wim (Top Priority addition...untested as of yet)

*Deleting any folder in install.wim (Untested as of yet)

*Changing OOBE(Out Of Box Experience...the user name selection etc screens during install) background.(Tested...works)

Future priority additions(unsure when will be added...in works):

*Changing Vista install first step(partition selection etc) and recovery environment background (im close)

*Removing the annoying Install This Driver Anyway popup during setup when non-WHQL drivers are integrated (still some work to do...also !x86-32bit only for now!...because x64-64bit workaround has different approach and will follow later)

Also:Request to moderator(s). MAKE THIS THREAD STICKY!

Edited by Tomorrow