What is the speed of ur NAS?

BPoller

Hi,

i am building my own NAS at the moment and would like to compare the Transfer-Speed with some solfd NAS-systems.

So if u have ur results, would be perfect, if u could post them incl. the test-tool u used.

Thanks,

B.Poller

I have found some transfer speeds for some popular NAS-Systems:

http://www.testticker.de/files/2008/images...chmarks_big.gif

(although the site is german, this graphic is understandable, cause download and upload are used in german too.)

But these systems have a gigabit-netcard, my system would have only 100 MBit.

So any results for 100 MBit out there?

Bye,

B.Poller

If you're building a NAS based on 100Mbps ethernet, then you're likely going to be limited by the connection speed. The only other possibility I can think of that would limit you is if you were applying linux software RAID5 on a very old or low powered CPU.

What are you building your NAS out of? Would it not be possible to add a PCI Gigabit ethernet card?

If you want a really solid setup that won't cost you too much (~300-400 euros for 2TB) check this out. It's a complete x86 PC in a tiny box, that draws about 40W out of the wall. Since you're in Europe, you'd likely get even better efficiency from the higher voltage you get from the electrical system.

Hi,

TO RENDRAG:

Perfect, thanks so much, now i can really compare my system (when finished :whistle: )

TO ZXIAN:

I will try 3 different systems, but 2 of them are based on embedded Hardware or modified ThinClients.

One has no ISA/PCI-Slot and the other only 1x, but i will use a USB 2.0 Card for Stick or HDD there.

Maybe on that System i could use a USB 2.0-Gigabit-Connector, but first USB is limited to 480 MBit, and second, the thruput will decrease, if i will save on a USB-Device i suppose.

On my third system i could try a gigabit card, but that system would also be limited by CPU, because all togehter i wanna a powersaving system for 24/7 usage.

But great :thumbup thank you :hello: guys,

B.Poller