Vista64 Ult. Minimum Running Memory Footprint

Jake68

Hi,

I am interested in reducing the weight of Vista for Digital Audio Workstations.

What is the current minimum footprint people are seeing, in a setup that might support Digital Audio Work.

Thanks for your attention.

Is the digital audio work ALL you are going to be doing? Do you need networking capabilities? Or to what extent do you need networking capabilities? Do you have many accessories that need to operate? (scanners, cameras, keyboards/mice with extra functions, etc.?) Do you want to keep the eye-candy turned on? (Aero? Themes? Basic?) Do you need fast search capability? (i.e. do you want the indexer on?)

It's hard to judge memory use with Superfetch enabled, since it consumes a dynamic amount of RAM depending on how much is available. I'll do some playing around with disabling things when I go home for lunch, or tonight if I don't have time over lunch... I'm curious now myself. I'd bet the minimum amount Vista will take is around 200-250...

Nonetheless, RAM is so cheap right now you can easily load up a workstation with 8Gb. Could you really use up so much RAM doing audio work that you need to worry about freeing up every last bit of RAM?

I could only get it down to around 400mb, but I'm sure I've seen it less than that before. <shrug> Oh well... I am using the "disable paging executive" and "large system cache" tweaks; plus I disabled the page file, so maybe that has something to do with it...

Seriously though, don't worry too much about squeezing every ounce of free memory out of the system. Just load up on cheap DDR2 and forget about running out of memory!