Possible to passthrough boot?

BOFH

Old Windows 9x based graphical boot managers were able to load a minimalistic version of Windows 9x, and then use this as a platform for a graphical bootmanager; essentially, the OS would load, the user would make their selection, and then the boot manager would passthrough the boot command to the relevant partition and the "real" OS would load.

I was just wondering if it's possible to do this with Windows PE, as to avoid rebooting and running thruogh POST a second time.

You want to load PE, just to load another OS?

There are plenty of boot managers for CDs or HDs, what is it that you are trying to do?

If POST takes a long time you can probably set it to "quick" in the bios.

You want to load PE, just to load another OS?

There are plenty of boot managers for CDs or HDs, what is it that you are trying to do?

If POST takes a long time you can probably set it to "quick" in the bios.

I'm creating an intermediary state for the EeePC, similar to the Linux-based SplashTop. Rather than just using NTLDR to select between the two choices (PE or XP), the idea is to have the EeePC boot up directly into PE, and then the user can choose to progress into full XP if they require more than a subset of their applications.

But obviously, to do that I need a way to call NTLDR again from within PE without having to reboot and POST, hence the question.

I don't think that is possible. You can edit the boot loader within PE, but you are going to have to reboot for it to take effect. Then perhaps make a startup or shutdown script within XP so that it sets the boot loader back.

Edited by zorphnog