CD drive stickin

im workin on a pc here , but one of the drives refuses to open :realmad: now i can open manually but i want to know if these is a way to fix the problem.

when i click the eject button, im here a clcikin sound but the drive isnt opening :unsure:

any of u guys have any idea what causes this ? ive seen it before but i want to see of its fix able

my guesses are somebody:

held the drive shut while it was trying to eject (or a case door held it)

forced the drive open/shut

put a cd in crooked(sp?) and cause the mech to jam

you get the idea. the gear mech that opens the drive has some missing/rounded off teeth. you might be able to dissemble the drive and rig the gears to mesh right again but thats a waste of time when a you can get a dvd burner for around 30$ shipped

I have seen this problem a lot before, some drives use a magnetic plate to hold the disc in place when inserted. Sometimes the other plate get’s magnetic too and they are hard to separate. You can open the drive to see if you can turn one plate around, but I could only do this in 10% of the cases. Another option is to keep always a disc inside and change it to another disc whenever you like. You have to separate the plates first by the way so opening the drive is needed if the emergency eject doesn’t work.

It happened to me more than once (with rather old CD ROM drives) usually office PC's (where the CD drive is not often used).

After carefully disassembling them I found that very often the cause was dirt and dust clogging the lubricant, a kind of grease that became very stiff.

Thoroughly cleaning all sliding parts and reapplying some good PTFE based lubricant (this is not advertisement, mind you, but i use only "SUPER-LUBE") makes usually the drive eject work as new.

jaclaz

Well, all drives are almost different.

• Start with opening the tray with the emergency hole and in a straight line bend paperclip.
  • Take off the front plate of the tray with your hand, no screw driver is needed (there are 2 plastic clips on the downside of the plate)
  • To take out the 4 screws from the base plate (bottom). Then you should see the PCB with the IDE/ATAPI interface.
  • Remove the bezel from the drive.
  • lift the inside out of the metal housing, some times you need to bend the side walls a bit away so the plastic inside comes out.
  • Turn the inside up-side down or better said: turn it with the top up.
  • There you see a plate that holds the upper rotor plate that normally holds the disc in place. Sometimes it attached to the metal housing and sometimes it has its own "bridge" that is hold in place with 2 to 4 screws.
  • Remove the screws if necessary.
  • Now connect the drive again to a PSU and see if the tray goes open and/or what’s blocking it. Be careful not to touch the PCB, which could lead to a short.

Assembling goes the other way around, and to help you more we need to know your findings after connecting it to the PSU when still open.

... some good PTFE based lubricant (this is not advertisement, mind you, but i use only "SUPER-LUBE") makes usually the drive eject work as new...
Good tip, comes in handy when they don’t sell good stuff around the place where you live ;). I presume it last long and can take some friction (never used it).

is there a guide online anywhere that shows steps on how to disassemble one :unsure:

This may help:

http://deron.meranda.us/casemod/cdrom/

but as puntoMX pointed out, every CD drive is a little different from another, so some steps may not be accurate for your model, however if you have basic mechanical skills it is not a difficult thing to do.

jaclaz

i found that same link last night.

i just scrapped the drive down to board, it looked like one of the gears is damaged but im not too sure, but when a cdis left in the drive it opens properly :blink:

oh well, i recommend a new drive anyways

The upper rotor plate is magnetized too much, so it sticks to the rotor with the engine attached.

The link you guys showed/used gives as last step to remove the bezel and tray plate/bezel, but the easiest way to do it is to eject the tray before opening the drive up.