Vista SP1 wont install

Coldplayer

I get a error 0x80070002...ive done evrything in MS's help article..i think its cos i Vlited my install disk and took out windows defender....any suggestions?? i tried reisntalling vista with the original disk but its corrupted now :(

The hex value for that error maps to FILE_NOT_FOUND or OBJECT_NOT_FOUND, so yeah, I'd say removing defender caused it. A proces monitor log would show for sure, but it's definitely the removal of something it doesn't like :).

hmm is there anyway i can re-add windows defender?? atm i have the folder of it..the .reg keys...using another registry key i re-added the service.. but now when i open i get a error Application failed to initilize error 0x8006106BA. A problem caused this programs service to stop.i tried starting the WD service in services.msc but it had error 1053:the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion....

WD service seems to be svchost.exe which there is only 1 off in sys32 and im not sure i should replace it... any help?

suggestions

Edited by Coldplayer

i just tried reinstalling vista with my original dvd...but it gets stuck at 48% and says a file is missing or corrupted....if i booted up with it and went to command prompt and did sfc /scannow would it reinstall windows defender?