XP Pro x64

Grake

hmm, well i honestly wonder what the legality is of dloading an xp x64 sp2 disk off of a file sharing site as long as you have a legit key. does anyone know?

It's illegal as it's breaching copyright laws. By downloading from a source that is not licensed to offer copyrighted material you are yourself creating an illegal copy.

A license key is just a measure to discourage illegal copying - it's not the license to obtain the software associated with it.

Microsoft does offer to 'legalize' pirated copies through the purchase of a license key. However, that's within the realm of civil law entirely. The act of creating an illegal copy is a criminal act nevertheless and there is no way a company like Microsoft can exert any influence whatsoever on what is considered a crime.

Now I just hope I cleared your question in time before jcarle has a chance to unload his wrath onto you. :D

also i am wondering, is it illegal to download a torrent of an XP SP2 disk? as long as you have your own cd key and all i would assume that you would be fine, but i am not sure.

Yes, downloading any software that isn't otherwise available for download via Bit Torrent is illegal. For Microsoft products, the only way that you can legally get the disc is from a licensed retailer (your computer store) or from Microsoft themselves.

Honestly... ripken... I gave you the answer to that exact question just a few weeks ago. Hopefully we don't need to go over this again.

Microsoft gives the option to legalize your pirated copy if you can tell them the organization that provided you with the disk (i.e. who tricked you). If you say to them that you downloaded the copy, and didn't know any better - you're up the creek without a paddle.

@Grake - You can follow the instructions for the slipstreaming, provided that it's the 64-bit version of SP2 that you've downloaded. Slipstreaming 32-bit SP2 onto 64-bit XP doesn't make much sense now, does it? Otherwise, your MSDN subscription should provide you with an up-to-date version of XP x64.

I don't think you guys are understanding what I was saying. I was trying to slipstream a x64 SP2 onto a x64 XPCD running a 32bit OS. Apparently you can't do that. You need to be running a base x64 bit to even slipstream it. Anyway, I ended up installing it without the SP2 then played around with it while on it. MSDN doesn't provide x64 with SP2, only with SP1.

I guess that would make sense. The SP2 x64 distributable file is 64-bit, so it wouldn't be able to run under a 32-bit environment. If you're really diehard, you could boot the non-SP2 version, slipstream a new copy, and then install from that. :P

Is the CPU x64 compatible? Can you install an 64bit copy of windows on virtual machine that's running on 32bit?

Actually, if the x64 CPU has support for hardware virtualization, and you're using VMWare, you can actually run 64bit guests on the VMWare server 32bit host. However, your CPU usage on the host from that guest VM will be much higher than if the host was 64bit. So yes, it can be done, but it's not recommended.

Is the CPU x64 compatible? Can you install an 64bit copy of windows on virtual machine that's running on 32bit?

Actually, if the x64 CPU has support for hardware virtualization, and you're using VMWare, you can actually run 64bit guests on the VMWare server 32bit host. However, your CPU usage on the host from that guest VM will be much higher than if the host was 64bit. So yes, it can be done, but it's not recommended.

Then I hope the topic starter has an AMD, Intel is too buggy and slow for this... well, just as a side note ;).