AVG Antivir 7.5 complains about roxio in media player

I tried to install AVG Antivir v7.5.x on a Win 2K Pro Sp4 machine. It complained that it would cause problems for AVG since an old version of Roxio was on the machine. However, I don't have any Roxio CD read/writer software on the PC since I use NERO 8.2 which currently isn't installed either.

I took a look at the registry by searching for roxio. Roxio references along with the version number v1.x and v2.x were found in the registry along with the directory path to the offending files/dlls. It happens to be there due to Windows Media Player v9 being installed that contains a Roxio plugin subdirectory with dlls', executables etc. I have the latest hotfixes from MSoft for Media Player v9 and I can't upgrade to media player 10 or 11 since these will only install on XP.

I was able to install the free/trialware AVG Antispyware v7.5.x without problem along with their rootkit. I ran these and it didn't flag any of the roxio files as problems.

Has anybody run into this problem and if I just continue installing AVG Antivir by ignoring the popup, will I cause Windows Media Player v9.x not to work since the Antivir may try to flag it as a virus? Any comments or solutions?

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 months later...

What is strange is that even though this Roxio/AVG problem has been going on for years neither AVG has any mention of Roxio in their support data and Roxio doesn't have any mention of AVG in their support files.

I sent a e-mail to AVG asking why their isn't any mention of the Roxio conflict. So far I have not received a reply. For over a month now I have been sitting on AVG Antivirus 2008 paid for software that I am afraid to install.

Does anyone have any insight as to why Roxio and AVG refuse to recognize that there is a problem?

What is strange is that even though this Roxio/AVG problem has been going on for years neither AVG has any mention of Roxio in their support data and Roxio doesn't have any mention of AVG in their support files.

I sent a e-mail to AVG asking why their isn't any mention of the Roxio conflict. So far I have not received a reply. For over a month now I have been sitting on AVG Antivirus 2008 paid for software that I am afraid to install.

Does anyone have any insight as to why Roxio and AVG refuse to recognize that there is a problem?

I searched the registry for roxio leftovers that MSoft may have not removed when the released Win 2K or any of the service packs. I didn't find anything that stood out.

When I researched the cd device driver on the system, I came across MSofts CD player software that comes with Win 2K. If I remember the device properties on the file indicated roxio. Thus, I also believe in the early days MSoft licensed alot of software (including software/hardware drivers) for use with their products. They may have even paid a 3rd party to develop it for them. That third party software developer may have been Roxio. Thus, MSofts generic CD player software was written by or contains Roxio's old drivers.

When one installs AVG 7.5 or 8.0 it detects this old software driver even though one hasn't installed any product from Roxio - it detects the one MSoft licensed in their CD player software.

The bottom line is, I took a chance and ignored the error message and installed AVG software. So far I haven't had a problem.

If you aren't sure, I would say if you have system restore turned on in XP, or if you made a drive image of the disk for XP or WIN 2K, then if the software screws up, you could always go back to the old version by doing a disk or image restore for the disk.

• 9 months later...