unable to connect optical mouse to usb 1.1 port

Turnul_de_fildes

I have an old Apollo Pro133A (694X) motherboard with 4 USB 1.1 ports via....a header. Basically, I'm trying to connect an optical PS/2 mouse to my computer, using a 5-pins female USB connector and a USB to PS/2 adaptor. I have no PS/2 port on-board and the USB ports have only 4 pins.

The USB connector has 2 red wires, 2 white wires, 2 green, 2 black and 2 fatter black wires. When I plug the connector into an USB port I only get the red flash light from the mouse, and this means that it's powered on, but the cursor remains immobile. What can I do to make this mouse work? :(

Edited by Turnul_de_fildes

Colour of the wires doesn't mean anything. If you don't have any info or scheme you could only fry your motherboard. Although both ps/2 and usb are types of serial ports, I don't think they are interchangable. I might be wrong, but I've seen usb mice that work with ps/2 only with their own adapter - which would mean that there's no universal solution.

Do you have any schematics?

GL

Guys, thank you for your replies! I've figured out about the problem. I bought the usb 1.1 header from some online IT store and they sent me over an usb 2.0 header, instead of an usb 1.1 one! :no::( the version is even labeled on the cable" "high speed usb 2.0". I told them what I nedeed, but still they ignore my request and send me another item who, by the way, works with a different USB 2.0 ready motherboard. :)

Edited by Turnul_de_fildes

Some USB 2.0 stuff is backwards compatible. :unsure:
That should not be a problem; pin layout is the same, but in most cases it has better shielding. Strange indeed.
Make sure you have USB Mouse Support turned On in BIOS.
As a side note; That’s only for DOS compatibility.