[Release] Sandboxie v3.30

johndoe74

Sandboxie v3.30 [Released: September 02, 2008]

About Sandboxie

When you run a program on your computer, data flows from the hard disk to the program via read operations. The data is then processed and displayed, and finally flows back from the progam to the hard disk via write operations.

For example, if you run the Freecell program to play a game, it starts by reading the previously recorded statistics, displaying and altering them as you play the game, and finally writing them back to disk for future reference.

Sandboxie changes the rules such that write operations do not make it back to your hard disk.

The illustration shows the key component of Sandboxie: a transient storage area, or sandbox. Data flows in both directions between programs and the sandbox. During read operations, data may flow from the hard disk into the sandbox. But data never flows back from the sandbox into the hard disk.

If you run Freecell inside the Sandboxie environment, Sandboxie reads the statistics data from the hard disk into the sandbox, to satisfy the read requested by Freecell. When the game later writes the statistics, Sandboxie intercepts this operation and directs the data to the sandbox.

If you then run Freecell without the aid of Sandboxie, the read operation would bypass the sandbox altogether, and the statistics would be retrieved from the hard disk.

The transient nature of the sandbox makes it is easy to get rid of everything in it. If you were to throw away the sandbox, by deleting everything in it, the sandboxed statistics would be gone for good, as if they had never been there in the first place.

Sandboxie and the Web

Protecting your Freecell statistics using Sandboxie may be a good idea when a less qualified player comes along, but you will probably want to play most of your games outside the sandbox. On the other hand, you may want to run your Web browser inside the sandbox most of the time. This way any incoming, unsolicited software (spyware, malware and the like) that you download, is trapped in the sandbox. Changes made to your list of Favorites or Bookmarks, hijacking of your preferred start page, new and unwanted icons on your desktop -- all these, and more, are trapped in and bound to the sandbox.

You could also try a new toolbar add-on, browser extension or just about any kind of software. If you don't like it, you throw away the sandbox, and start again with a fresh sandbox. On the other hand, if you do like the new piece of software, you can re-install it outside the sandbox so it becomes a permanent part of your system.

Sandboxie intercepts changes to both your files and registry settings, making it virtually impossible for any software to reach outside the sandbox.

Sandboxie traps cached browser items into the sandbox as a by-product of normal operation, so when you throw away the sandbox, all the history records and other side-effects of your browsing disappear as well.

The Alternative

Sandboxie is free so you really don't have to look around for an alternative. If you find it makes your Web experience that much safer, you are encouraged to register the program for a small fee. However, if you still don't like or can't use Sandboxie for whatever reason, here are some alternatives.

Anti-Virus Software, Anti-Spyware Tools

These tools scan your computer files and registry settings looking for known viruses and unsolicited software (spyware). Such tools can only remove viruses and spyware they can identify, and usually only after that software has made its way into your computer. Contrast this with the Sandboxie approach, which keeps the viruses and spyware trapped in the sandbox, and makes them disappear when you throw away the sandbox.

Untrusted Browsing

The ActiveX mechanism lets Web sites run little programs in your computer. These are mostly well-natured programs, for example automatic download managers or automatic toolbar installation. Some not-so-well-natured Web sites use this mechanism to install spyware into your computer. You could browse with ActiveX disabled (by turning it off, or by switching to a browser that doesn't offer support for ActiveX), but you would be trading security over functionality. With Sandboxie, you can keep ActiveX turned on, and have both security and functionality.

File size :: 455.30 KB (466,228 bytes)

MD5 :: 42D7C841EB40CD9FD0290BBE8B6651AB

Main :: Esnips

Mirror :: FileFront

Mirror :: MediaFire

Mirror :: Badongo

Mirror :: divshare

Mirror :: uploading.com

Mirror :: midload

Mirror :: uploaded.to

Mirror :: theonlinedatastorage

Mirror :: depositfiles

Mirror :: openomy

Mirror :: ifile.it

Edited by johndoe74

• 3 months later...

Sandboxie v3.28 [Released: June 30, 2008]

File size :: 447.07 KB (457,798 Bytes)

MD5 :: B816CFF0F62956AF26176C0CEE53F6AA

Main :: Esnips

Mirror :: FileFront

Mirror :: FileFactory

Mirror :: MediaFire

Mirror :: Badongo

Mirror :: box.net

Mirror :: divshare

Mirror :: uploading.com

Mirror :: easyshare

Mirror :: uploaded.to

Mirror :: theonlinedatastorage

Mirror :: depositfiles

Mirror :: openomy

Mirror :: ifile.it

Mirror :: Zshare

Mirror :: gigasize

Mirror :: slil.ru/zalil.ru

Mirror :: shareua

Mirror :: bitroad

Mirror :: mybloop

Mirror :: eufiles

Mirror :: qshare

Mirror :: mpshare

Mirror :: adrive

Edited by johndoe74

Thanks Johndoe74,

I ran across this 1-2 months ago and I really like it. I used it to test Firefox 3 beta 4 to see what extensions were available. You can use as a testing platform for software. Or instead of running a limited user account in WinXP when you go to certain websites that may cause problems for you. Don't need Noscript or Adblock Plus.

I look at it as a kind of mini VMware (yes, I've used them) in a way, depending on how you use it of course.

Highly recommended program and also since johndoe74 did it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

<<The Alternative

Sandboxie is free so you really don't have to look around for an alternative. If you find it makes your Web experience that much safer, you are encouraged to register the program for a small fee. However, if you still don't like or can't use Sandboxie for whatever reason, here are some alternatives.>>

Unless you're in a 64 bit OS like XP with sp2, Vista or Server 2008, in which case PatchGuard will refuse to let sandboxie run, and you can't even install it.

I'd like to know what alternatives exist for these operating systems, because for some mad reason people seem to think sandboxing is something you do to your web browsers - I blame google's Chrome browser for popularising this belief - when it actually intercepts all disk write attemps.

I need to know which registry entries and files programs try to modify or create... I can run a browser in a VM if I want to be "sandboxed" by its popular definition, but a VM is useless when it comes to genuine sandboxing =(