SOLVED: Needed: Splash Screen tool for MS-DOS 6.22 startup

BPoller

SOLVED: I got my tips and the last program named by Flo (Blackout) was the right tool! Thanks for all help.

======================================================================

Hi,

i am lookin for a tool for MS-DOS 6.22, with which i could implement a splash screen while starting MS-DOS, just like the Win98-Startup-Screen.

It should display a few seconds and then continue booting MS-DOS 6.22.

Its hard to find such special MS-DOS tools in the web, so anyone there, who has such a little tool (freeware)?

Thanks,

B.Poller

Edited by BPoller

In Windows 98, the boot-up process brought up either the default from IO.SYS or used a bitmap file called LOGO.SYS in the root directory. Logo.sys must be a 320- by 400-pixel, 256-color Windows bitmap file.

However, Dos 6.22 did not do this, so you will have to find a DOS image program which will show an image for a few seconds and then quit to get an equivalent functionality. However, Windows 98 booted the rest of the way in the background while the image was displaying. You will not get this in DOS 6.22.

I agree on what Glenn9999 said; you need to be able to show an image of some kind and it will most likely stop the boot process while it's displayed.

You could use some ASCII art which can be displayed at any point in the boot process.

But the big question is, why would you even want a splash screen for DOS?

In Windows the boot logo is displayed to make the boot process feel faster and to introduce the OS, booting DOS doesn't really take that much time and when you boot DOS you can easily see it.

Thanks idsjunction !!

That seems to be just what i was asking and lookin for.

To the questions from the others: i am creating a special DOS-Version for Networking and want to show a Startup-Screen with a nice Version-Info.

Thanks,

B.Poller

You may want/need a dedicated program to create/edit/modify the bootscreen (320 x 400 256 colours bitmap animated through colour cycling).

Looky here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/newist-animated-...ogo-t38262.html

and a very basic tutorial:

http://www.spcug.org/reviews/vlba0010.htm

Logomania can still be found around as "v16n06.zip". ;)

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Flo,

perfect. Thats the tool i looked for, and btw. a nice site u gave me. Tools and more stuff i could use.

Thanks,

B.Poller

P.S.: In german: "Danke, das war genau das was ich gesucht hatte, schöne Grüsse nach Berlin"

Better to put "SOLVED" than closed. That way in the unlikely event that someone else is looking for the same thing, they wont think this is a dubious spam / warez / hacking thread that actually got closed by the mods.

Better to put "SOLVED" than closed. That way in the unlikely event that someone else is looking for the same thing, they wont think this is a dubious spam / warez / hacking thread that actually got closed by the mods.

U are right. I changed the Topic.

Bye,

B.Poller

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Seeing how other people take interest in this specialized topic (@mvsnaniou), I'd like to add a recent find:

The DOS-LOGO project

They made a driver that apparently works on older versions (but not FreeDos) and reads a logo.sys.

Untested, but looks like a complete emulation including animation and escape-key override!

In any case, the gallery of logos includes nice ones for MS-DOS 6.x/7.x :)

Flo

• 1 year later...
Seeing how other people take interest in this specialized topic (@mvsnaniou), I'd like to add a recent find:

The DOS-LOGO project

They made a driver that apparently works on older versions (but not FreeDos) and reads a logo.sys.

Untested, but looks like a complete emulation including animation and escape-key override!

In any case, the gallery of logos includes nice ones for MS-DOS 6.x/7.x :)

Flo

Hello.

Sorry for bumping an old post, but that url is currently dead.

Some mirror or a sucessor of it?

Regards.