Integrating SP3 RC

Whenever you integrate a new SP you should start from scratch because integrating a service pack won't remove files (except for that case of the xp video driver), it'll only add files. I've successfully integrated sp3 beta and installed it without any issues.

-gosh

I'm setting up a Windows XP Professional install, the lowest form of the install I have is slipstreamed with SP1 and that's what I've been using. For all but the last 2 disks I made with SP3, I had removed the DOCS, DOTNETFX, VALUEADD, cmpnents, and SUPPORT folders as well as the manual upgrade files. Using the same setup files I have successfully completed a SP2 unattended disk with no errors and have been able to customize several aspects of the install (billboards, boot screen, login screen, registry tweaks ect.).

I'm getting ready to try a new disk so I'll let you know how it goes.

I tried the new disk today. Everything seems to be working ok. Here's what I've done so far.

Started with Windows XP Professional Slipstreamed with SP1

Removed all files and folders except the I386 folder, win51, win51ip, and win51ip.sp1 files.

Nothing was removed from the I386 folder.

Integrated SP3 RC using /integrate.

Removed all files and folders except the I386 folder, win51, win51ip, win51ip.sp1, and the win51ip.sp3 files.

Nothing was removed from the I386 folder or any subfolders.

I added winnt.sif to I386.

My winnt.sif file looks like this

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
AutomaticUpdates=yes

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=No
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
FileSystem=*
UnattendSwitch="yes"
WaitForReboot="No"

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword="password"
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=35
OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
ProductKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
FullName="Eric Styler"
OrgName="Nonya"
ComputerName=Eric's PC

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1280
YResolution=1024
Vrefresh=60

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
Language=00000409

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=EricsGroup

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

Unattended install finished correctly with no errors. I was able to login and start working. I've had several problems with the explorer crashing, and the DrWatson Postmortem debugger crashing. Had a problem with and older IE7 installer not working. Downloaded a newer version and everything installed correctly. I'm not sure but I think my explorer crashes might be hardware related. I'm trying a "new to me" video card. It's an SiS 315-64 chipset. The card is made by EliteGroup. It's causing my computer to hang during POST unless you enter the BIOS and do a soft reboot. I'm going to test a couple of different cards and find out if that's actually my problem. EDIT: Also, I've noticed that I no longer have the option to put the Internet Explorer Icon on my desktop from the Display settings. I noticed this problem with SP2 as well and have attributed it to an issue with an update. Is this something worth noting?

I'm going to try to customize the install with modified boot screens, billboards, welcome screens, and an $OEM$ folder. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Edited by fiberglasscivic

I suggest that you DONT integrate SP3 RC1. Wait, just wait, until the final. You'll do more harm than good. There's also the issue with it not supportting HD audio btw (KB88111).

Edited by kickarse