Vista unatended settings.

Like the title says.

I want to edit the unatended file in vista so that on install the programs folder will be f:\program files not c:\program files and the same for the users folder.

Also now eve no this isnt vista it is part of the vista question.

I want to do the same with xp so the final result will be this:

4 partions

C:\Vista (20gb)

D:\XP (10gb)

E:\Other (10gb)

F:\Storage (100gb)

The vista and xp folder/partion will only contain the windows folders (of course the hidden ones also but not the programs and users one)

If this makes sense. Basically i will be able to boot into xp or vista and both will use the same progs directory and hopefully in the future the docs & settind/users directory.

I Have seen this done on a site that is now closed down.

Thanks in advance,

This might not work, since the entire app does not reside in the Program Files directory. Most apps have reg entries, dll files and other files lying all over the place. Since you will install an app in Vista, XP might have a problem finding the missing files, and the other way around. Games normally don't have this problem though.

An option is to replace you apps with portable versions that have all the required files and reg entries self contained. There are tools that can be used to create your own portable apps as well.

Good luck!

This might not work, since the entire app does not reside in the Program Files directory. Most apps have reg entries, dll files and other files lying all over the place. Since you will install an app in Vista, XP might have a problem finding the missing files, and the other way around. Games normally don't have this problem though.

An option is to replace you apps with portable versions that have all the required files and reg entries self contained. There are tools that can be used to create your own portable apps as well.

Good luck!

Thanks i was aware of the issue, yet didn't really think of that. Yes portable applications would be a good soloution and i know they are available but i find not in mass numbers.

Thanks for your reply,

PS.Still need to know how it would be done though.

• 3 weeks later...

To specify users folder location insert the following code into your Autounattend.xml. If you are not familiar with Autounattend.xml read some tutorial first. The partition you use must exist and be formatted.

<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" processorArchitecture="x86">
<FolderLocations>
<ProfilesDirectory>D:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
</FolderLocations>
</component>
</settings>

What comes to Program Files folder location I have understood that there is no working solution for that currently (at least not in the realm of Autounattend.xml)

I wonder if the new WAIK http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en for Vista SP1 lets us have %ProgramFiles% in FolderLocations to have Program Files in a different partition.

A while ago this topic was raised under this thread: http://www.msfn.org/board/Unattended-Vista...ons-t81968.html

Cheers,

McoreD

Nice find..Gee thats a big DL, hope it resolves some earlier issues though.

• 1 month later...