How to configure Primary and secondary Domain controllers

tagwar

Hi experts

I have a question here

I want to make primary and secondary Domain controller

I mean

If the primary domain is not available then the user can authenticate from the secondary DC

Is this possible

And how I can do this????

And the same I like to make with exchange server 2003 also

i hope the professional people can answer me.

One more thing

How I can demote and prompt DC???

All of this is required to make production server always available

The secondary will be kind of backup server in case the primary is down for any reason the secondary can replace until it comes up and running again

Appreciate your replay in advance

IF you are using Windows 2003 DC's, the concept of Primary and Secondary Domain Controllers no longer applies. All DCs hold the SYSVOL and all pertaining information that is required to service clients. you can either use add/remove programs to add the DC role, or using DCpromo from the command line. this also will help in the fact that your Domain will be more better equiped to handle loads and also will provide redundency if Either domain controller goes down. Hope that helps!

The only caveat is that if you truly want them to be mirrors of each other, you need to make sure they both hold the global catalog.

this exactly what i want

to be a mirror from each other

if one goes down the same information still available in the other DC

how can i do this???

• 1 month later...

And the same I like to make with exchange server 2003 also

I forgot to touch on this in my previous post - you will need a cluster (2 servers, external storage, either SAN or (i)SCSI) to achieve this kind of thing with an Exchange server.

You can use NAS now - sort of: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888374

I've tried it. Definitely not something I would suggest for a prime-time Exchange cluster, it's just not robust enough. It worked fine with one Exchange instance on an active/passive with about 200 users, but when we bumped it up to 4 instances on an active/active/passive/passive setup with about 1000 users, it crumbled under the I/O load. Went back to fiber, no problems. Even SCSI kept up pretty well (we tried it just for kicks to see if it would scale, and that was pushing the limits of the technology), although it had it's moments of faltering under heavy load.