Afvxd.vxd

Offler

I have been betatesting newest ultima online client for one server on Windows 98SE.

During logon it showed BSOD due afvxd.vxd conflict. Also system was freezing when application was running and i was watching videos with VMR9 renderer.

I tried some internal settings to find the problem and later i decided to change the system file for different version of afvxd.vxd. I was planning to solve BSOD problem but after i replaced the file all bugs dissapeared.

Original version: 4.10.2222 - Windows 98SE

Fixed version: 4.10.1657 - from Winsock2.0 update for Windows 95. Probably the oldest version available.

the problem and its solution means that application is written for older versions and developers of ultima online are marking compatibility with the oldest file version...

The same file in higher version is not fully backward compatible and due poor programming of UO client it is not forward compatible with newer versions, or worse the version which is delivered to users of windows 98SE+ is buggy.

If possible send me afvxd.vxd from Windows ME to compare it during betatest. If the problem persists there should be a reason to add afvxd.vxd version 4.10.1657 to some unofficial updates

I am using afvxd.vxd 4.90.3000 from Windows ME setup CD-ROM [CABs].

Works like a charm.

But the catch is you can't install it by itself, you have to install an entire list of other Winsock files from WinME.

All of them are installed as part of 98SE2ME option 2:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#KRM9S

Please see ReadMe for details ["98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" chapter, the "* Option 2:" topic]:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/read1st.php

HTH