NTFS support in Win 98/SE/ME?

bsperan

Why don't you :realmad: §@ç#ing leave that torrent alone (because it DEFINITELY it is NOT the "right" file and ADDITIIONALLY it may be full of crap/malware) and don't you do EXACTLY what schwups advised? :unsure:

In other words, WHATEVER is your problem that torrent file is NOT the solution for it. :no:

Just in case ;):

b1d.png

jaclaz

LOL!

:D

I had actually already given up on it, purely because it didn't work!

I'm just curious as I always am as to what exactly it is.

I know, "curiosity killed the cat"!

I suspect you're right, it is malware masquerading as a legitimate piece of software.

Had the installer worked, it may have apparently installed what it said it would, but probably another load of crap as well.

Bit of a clanger by the malware perpetrators not to make the installer work on Windows 98 though, a bit of a give-away really!

:)

... and AFAICR the thingy can be extracted with uniextract alright...

I think we can trust our members and not this obscure torrent! Mine is from http://windows98.xf.cz.

+1. And by extracting from that archive PNTFS.VxD, as suggested by jaclaz, I gathered the info below from the said VxD, which sure seems bona-fide:

File: PNTFS.VXD

Size: 102,019 bytes

CRC32: FD4B5F47

MD5: 80FA806F3CAE3B3C7911CCAB6179D15D

Hexadecimal Version Info:

File Version: 3.0.2.2

Product Version: 0.0.0.0

StringFileInfo Version Info:

CompanyName: Paragon Software

FileDescription: Universal FSD (read-write)

FileVersion: 3.0.2.2

InternalName: PNTFS.VXD

LegalCopyright: Copyright c 2003

OriginalFilename: PNTFS.VXD

ProductName: Paragon NTFS for 98

For what it's worth: the version of Paragon NTFS for Windows 98 I got directly from them sometime in 2008 is a single executable file (some kind of installer or self-extracting), sized 2034 kB and dated December 18, 2003. That file, along with a so-called license I've typed down to a text file, are on a DVD of mine burnt December 22, 2008.

For what it's worth: the version of Paragon NTFS for Windows 98 I got directly from them sometime in 2008 is a single executable file (some kind of installer or self-extracting), sized 2034 kB and dated December 18, 2003. That file, along with a so-called license I've typed down to a text file, are on a DVD of mine burnt December 22, 2008.

Yep, EXACTLY like the one was referenced earlier:

... and AFAICR the thingy can be extracted with uniextract alright...

File is EXACTLY 2,082,816 bytes, used to be named pntfs.exe, now it is named ntfs_win98_free.exe.

AND like the one that you can now download from paragon's site. (yes :yes:, I also verified the checksum of that one against mine which ws downloaded on 27/11/2008, JFYI).

Noone actually cares :w00t: where exactly you did store it BTW ;).

jaclaz

Ma... dai! :blink:

Of course we do! You fully know he means to say it's unlikely it's been tampered with. :yes:

Sure, the storage media may not be relevant per se, it just offers credibility in regard to any possible malware attempts at modifying it, if it were on a write-enabled medium such as a HDD. Just in case anyone wanted that particular file, would it have been different from what is available on site.

(thanks, den. it's OK. I'm slow, my connection is slow, notifications are delayed. this reply is superfluous now. and I need better glasses)

Edited by Drugwash

Den's version of PNTFS.VXD is the same as I've got installed, from the installation file I downloaded from Paragon, so it looks as if it should indeed be read and write capable.

I will need to investigate further why I seemed to be having trouble getting files to "stick" on the drive.

The serial numbers that are associated with some of these downloads (there's a text file included in the version here which includes a product key and serial number) are very confusing, as the program that's available now does not seem to need one, which would make sense as it's now a free program!

I guess they are just a hangover from when it wasn't free, but it certainly confused the hell out of me!

Sure, the storage media may not be relevant per se, it just offers credibility in regard to any possible malware attempts at modifying it, if it were on a write-enabled medium such as a HDD. Just in case anyone wanted that particular file, would it have been different from what is available on site.

Sure :), just kidding :yes:, though of course it might have been affected by the malware in 2008, before you did burn it to CD/DVD, for all you know. :whistle:

jaclaz

Sure :), just kidding :yes:, though of course it might have been affected by the malware in 2008, before you did burn it to CD/DVD, for all you know. :whistle:

jaclaz

I know you're kidding. :) And you got a valid point, as a file can always get corrupted even while being downloaded, not to mention by any malware active sometime between download and burn. That's why it's best for us to be as precise as possible when dealing with files. ;)

I wonder if there's something else to this installation, such as a control panel or a place to enter that registration key or whatever it's called... I never got around installing and testing this package so I'm virtually interested in the matter, should I ever need to.

Some very noteworthy snippets from previous posts, just to put it all together in one place:

... the thingy can be extracted with uniextract alright...

The serial numbers that are associated with some of these downloads (there's a text file included in the version here which includes a product key and serial number) are very confusing, as the program that's available now does not seem to need one, which would make sense as it's now a free program!

I guess they are just a hangover from when it wasn't free, but it certainly confused the hell out of me!

I use it for years (zip file is about 2MB). It supports reading and writing. There is only one necessary file (PNTFS.vxd 100KB) to access NTFS drives. The file also can simply copied into the IOSUBSYS folder - reboot required. Apart from that there is a old version of the Partitionsmanager in the package.

TµEE: http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES

I've been testing it and so far it works well.

The installer warns you to disable Recycle Bin on the NTFS drive in Windows 9x.

If you don't, like I didn't, the Recycle Bin on the NTFS drive becomes corrupt and causes minor NTFS file system errors that requires chkdsk /f run from Windows XP.

And so, we're back to the main issue, which I think is correctly identified by now...

The driver is OK, but it's not working as advertised, after all. And it did work OK for other members...

Den's version of PNTFS.VXD is the same as I've got installed, from the installation file I downloaded from Paragon, so it looks as if it should indeed be read and write capable.

I will need to investigate further why I seemed to be having trouble getting files to "stick" on the drive.

@Dave-H: What about falling back to a previous image and reinstalling from scratch (the PNTFS only, of course), or, better still, simply adding it by hand to IOSUBSYS and disabling the Recycle Bin for the NTFS drives it finds?

I wonder if there's something else to this installation, such as a control panel or a place to enter that registration key or whatever it's called... I never got around installing and testing this package so I'm virtually interested in the matter, should I ever need to.

Cannot say, it's a lot of time since I tested it (but I am pretty sure that at the time it worked read/write alright) if you compare the current file (which is the SAME as pntfs.exe) with the actual "demo" that can be still retrieved from here:

http://download.cnet.com/Paragon-NTFS-for-Win-98/3000-2122_4-10501034.html?tag=rb_content;contentBody

you will see that there is an added .dll and that the .vxd is much bigger.

I have not handy a Win98 VM right now, so I cannot actually test the install.

jaclaz

@Dave-H: What about falling back to a previous image and reinstalling from scratch (the PNTFS only, of course), or, better still, simply adding it by hand to IOSUBSYS and disabling the Recycle Bin for the NTFS drives it finds?

I will try that when I get a chance.

Firstly I need to go back into 98 (in XP at the moment) and confirm again that there really is a problem.

I might have been doing something silly when I apparently had the issue (wouldn't be the first time!)

I'll try first just disabling the recycle bin on the drive as recommended, although i doubt that's the problem.

Er, how do you actually do that BTW, I thought the recycle bin was created by the OS whether you liked it or not!

If the problem really is still there, I will try uninstalling and cleaning the system, and try with just the VXD installed without the partition manager bit.

I should at this point specify what the hardware configuration is, just in case it's relevant.

(I hope jaclaz doesn't shout at me now for not having mentioned something before which would have revealed what the problem is!)

The drive is a 1TB drive in an external enclosure with a switchable eSATA or USB interface.

I can use either interface in XP, but despite Rudolph Loew's best efforts, I can find no 98 driver support for the SATA card, so I have to use the USB interface in 98.

Edited by Dave-H