NTFS support in Win 98/SE/ME?

bsperan

On my Opteron PC(ATI Xpress 200 + Uli M1573 chipset) with 320GB hard drive, winternals' one is stable.

On my Pentium DC PC(Intel 865g + ICH5 chipset) with 640GB SATA hard drive, winternals' one always makes Win98SE crash when I delete files or use recycle bin.

I tried paragon's one and lost my files in NTFS partition. Since then, I have not installed paragon's one.

• 6 months later...

On my Opteron PC(ATI Xpress 200 + Uli M1573 chipset) with 320GB hard drive, winternals' one is stable.

On my Pentium DC PC(Intel 865g + ICH5 chipset) with 640GB SATA hard drive, winternals' one always makes Win98SE crash when I delete files or use recycle bin.

I tried paragon's one and lost my files in NTFS partition. Since then, I have not installed paragon's one.

Were you using the latest files?
AUTOCHK.EXE 5.0.2195.6605
NTDLL.DLL 5.0.2195.7080
NTFS.SYS 5.0.2195.7050
NTOSKRNL.EXE 5.0.2195.7376

The other 3 files are all the same if using Win2k. I'm not sure about the WinXP or 2k3 Server.

Can the Paragon software act as readonly? Can it access >127GB partitions, or partitions that start >127GB? (Not sure if this is normally a problem, actually.)

• 1 year later...

I realise this is an old thread, but just hoping for some advice.

I wanted to get access to an external NTFS drive under Windows 98, and found the Paragon software that supports this.

It is free now, but when I downloaded it from Paragon and installed it, it seems to work fine but it appears to be read only.

I can write files to the NTFS drive under Windows 98 OK with it and seem to be able to use them OK, but on reboot, they have disappeared!

Is this a limitation of the Paragon program?

I gather that there was originally a free read only version, and a paid for full version.

Paragon tell me that the full version is no longer available, and they no longer support Windows 98 in any way shape or form!

They also don't support their free software anyway, so that was the end of that!

When I downloaded the "free" version, I was sent an e-mail with a registration code, which the software didn't ask for, which makes me think that there must be a fuller version still out there somewhere.

Try as I might I cannot find it though, all there is is the version I've got, an about 2 GB file.

I did find a torrent that was 12 GB, which claimed to be the full version, but it wouldn't install, with an "Installer CRC Error".

Presumably it's corrupted.

Anyone any idea where I can still get the full version, as I assume the registration code they gave me will unlock it.

Thanks, Dave.

:)

I realise this is an old thread, but just hoping for some advice.

I wanted to get access to an external NTFS drive under Windows 98, and found the Paragon software that supports this.

It is free now, but when I downloaded it from Paragon and installed it, it seems to work fine but it appears to be read only.

I can write files to the NTFS drive under Windows 98 OK with it and seem to be able to use them OK, but on reboot, they have disappeared!

Is this a limitation of the Paragon program?

I gather that there was originally a free read only version, and a paid for full version.

Paragon tell me that the full version is no longer available, and they no longer support Windows 98 in any way shape or form!

They also don't support their free software anyway, so that was the end of that!

When I downloaded the "free" version, I was sent an e-mail with a registration code, which the software didn't ask for, which makes me think that there must be a fuller version still out there somewhere.

Try as I might I cannot find it though, all there is is the version I've got, an about 2 GB file.

I did find a torrent that was 12 GB, which claimed to be the full version, but it wouldn't install, with an "Installer CRC Error".

Presumably it's corrupted.

Anyone any idea where I can still get the full version, as I assume the registration code they gave me will unlock it.

Thanks, Dave.

http://windows98.xf.cz => Download: http://windows98.xf.cz/win98se/ntfs4w98.zip

WHAT EXACTLY makes you think that it should be a much larger file? :w00t:

jaclaz

Simply supposition, because the torrent I found here that appears to be the program is a 12 MB file.

The installer looks to be correct when you run it, although it doesn't say what version it is.

Unfortunately it fails when unpacking the files with a CRC error.

Of course it could be some nasty masquerading as the Paragon program, but it doesn't get far enough to find out!

I've tried extracting the files from it, but haven't got anywhere with that either.

Edited by Dave-H

I use it for years (zip file is about 2MB). It supports reading and writing. There is only one necessary file (PNTFS.vxd 100KB) to access NTFS drives. The file also can simply copied into the IOSUBSYS folder - reboot required. Apart from that there is a old version of the Partitionsmanager in the package.

TµEE: http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES

Something really strange about your 12 mb torrent. I found another source for the .torrent file, and was surprised by the relatively large number of seeds and peers (over 100) which is a large number for a software file that is specifically identified as being for Windows 98. I downloaded the file and submitted it to VirusTotal. Here's were it gets weird.

VT says the first time the file was uploaded was 2014-01-07 17:58:04 UTC, and the last time was 2014-01-11 03:58:06 UTC (literally only minutes before my submission). If this file has existed as a torrent for (presumably) many years, then why was it first uploaded to VT only 3 or 4 days ago? And why are so many people downloading it?

File properties gives the company name as "Acresso Software Inc" and file name as "Setup.exe" (not "Paragon NTFS for Win98.exe"). The wikipedia entry for Arcresso Software links directly to Flexera Software. I'm guessing that this file is identified as Acresso software because of Installshield. The file doesn't unpack with winrar or 7zip.

VT scan comes up negative. I'll try running it after I post this - just in case my machine crashes. I've set the Kex compatibility to win-98se. Lets see what happens...

------

Well, nothing seems to happen. I've tried several Kex settings, and using cctask I can see the program does run when I start it, but it exits soon after, with no messages or any indication that it even started. Checking my hard drives - no new files or directories were created.

wait -

I ran the file through importpatcher, and if I understand the output correctly, it said that patches are needed for the file htmlayout.dll.

I scanned my system for htmlayout.dll, and found it in windows/temp, with a time and date stamp that matches when I first ran the executable. So this file does unpack htmlayout.dll into the windows temp directory. Anyone know what that file is all about?

==============

htmlayout.dll (931 kb)

Version 3, 3, 3, 12

HTMLayout - embeddable HTML rendering and layout component

Copyright © 2002-2012, Andrew Fedoniouk and Terra Informatica Software, Inc., http://terrainformatica.com

Internal name: h-smile core, win32 wrapper

Public version. Free for commercial and private use.

HTMLayout contains libPNG (www.libpng.org), ZLib (www.zlib.org),libJPEG (www.ijg.org), AGG (www.antigrain.com) and PGBA (http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/ucdata.html) , special credits to their authors

================

Edited by Nomen

Did you download the file from the torrent?

I'd be interested to know whether your experience with it is the same as mine, and whether you think it's the genuine article!

No, I would never download a torrent file unless I actually know before what is it (i.e. the link from it comes from a known, reliable source).

jaclaz

Yes, it's all a bit strange!

One very important thing I completely forgot to mention about that torrent file is that it won't install on Windows 98!

It complains of missing winhttp.dll, and if that file is provided, it complains of missing functions in kernel32.dll.

It does try to install on Windows XP, and looks good until it crashes with the CRC error.

It does say it's Paragon NTFS for Win 98 on the installer screen, but is it really?!

If it's what it claims to be, surely it should install on Windows 98!

:w00t:

Edited by Dave-H