Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

bsperan

NTFS support in Win 98/SE/ME?

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I downloaded the Sysinternals version from your Wayback Machine link.
I thought I should keep a copy of it in case it ever disappears.
Is it the read only version though, as the page says?
If so, presumably the full paid-for read/write version isn't now available anywhere?
:dubbio:

At the time there were two "parallel" firms, BOTH with Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell behind them.

Here are a couple related archived pages circa 2002:

The Freeware was branded Sysinternals and was publicly available at sysinternals.com:

https://web.archive.org/web/20021004022819/http://www.sysinternals.com:80/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml

whilst the Commercial software was  branded Winternals and was NOT publicly available, you needed to buy a license to access the downloads:

https://web.archive.org/web/20021015170231/http://www.winternals.com:80/products/fct/ntfswin98.asp

Of course you won't find the "full paid-for read/write version" if not -  possibly - on some Warez site, as it was (and is) illegal to redistribute.

jaclaz

A while back I was trying to set the Paragon NTFS driver for USB only and Sysinternals for internal usage. Having both of the drivers at the same time will crash the system when trying to access NTFS drives. Anyone know how to run them side-by-side? 

2 hours ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

A while back I was trying to set the Paragon NTFS driver for USB only and Sysinternals for internal usage. Having both of the drivers at the same time will crash the system when trying to access NTFS drives. Anyone know how to run them side-by-side? 

You need to add in DOS the Avira NTFS4DOS and the diskinternals (read only) driver:

maybe mixing them up and shaking well wiil help. :w00t:

Seriously now :)

why would you want to have them running side-by -side? :dubbio:

jaclaz

8 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

You need to add in DOS the Avira NTFS4DOS and the diskinternals (read only) driver:

maybe mixing them up and shaking well wiil help. :w00t:

Seriously now :)

why would you want to have them running side-by -side? :dubbio:

jaclaz

Well, I was hoping to use the Paragon for USB only so I didn't have to boot into WinXP whenever I use USB drives. You got any ideas on how to mixed them up? I have loaded them both statically or at least I think I have. But when both on the system at the same time, no access and a bunch of crashes on the NTFS drives. Maybe I'm missing something.

32 minutes ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

Well, I was hoping to use the Paragon for USB only so I didn't have to boot into WinXP whenever I use USB drives. You got any ideas on how to mixed them up? I have loaded them both statically or at least I think I have. But when both on the system at the same time, no access and a bunch of crashes on the NTFS drives. Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't think it is possible at all.

Maybe (just maybe) there could be a way to disable the one (and enable the other) on-the-fly (when needed) but no ideas on how to do that.

Since I don't believe you need to write to BOTH a NTFS internal drive AND to a USB NTFS formatted volume at the same time and at the most you might want to have read only access to one of the two and read/write access to the other, maybe really using the diskinternals thingy for the read volume and either the NTFS for Windows 98 OR the Paragon driver for the write volume might work.

jaclaz

I only use the Paragon stuff and I have yet to experience any issues with internal or external drives.

Posted (edited)

@TmEE it works for me too, just slow and others have had problems in the past.

@jaclaz I ran some tests last night, Sysinternal/Winternals will disable the Paragon driver if both installed. One will have to delete the registry key to use the Paragon version.

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\NTFSFSD"

This way people can use the Sysinternal/Winternals chkdsk tools with the Paragon driver.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

12 hours ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

@TmEE it works for me too, just slow and others have had problems in the past.

@jaclaz I ran some tests last night, Sysinternal/Winternals will disable the Paragon driver if both installed. One will have to delete the registry key to use the Paragon version.

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\NTFSFSD"

This way people can use the Sysinternal/Winternals chkdsk tools with the Paragon driver.

Good. :)

In theory (not necessarily in practice) the Winternals one should be if not faster at least more compatible (since after all it uses "original" MS drivers/programs), but I suspect that the Paragon driver issues are due more to some combination with hardware, it is one of those programs (as we have seen here) for which opinions are either "it's just fine" or "it's unstable/slow". :unsure:

jaclaz