WinPE 2.0 "STOP 0x0000000A" error

Omnius

I am afflicted with the well known >3GB RAM Vista issue that KB929777 addresses. As it turns out, I also got that exact same error while booting my newly created WinPE 2.0 usb flash drive. This is my first time using WinPE, but I immediately recognized that it was the same error I receive trying to install Vista with all my RAM installed. So I pulled out all but 2GB and tried again... WinPE booted no problem!

So, my question is, is there any way to patch a WinPE 2.0 image to apply whatever fix KB929777 addresses?

I haven't tried this myself yet so apologies if I'm wrong but I believe this should work.

Expand your KB929777.msu package to get the cab file in the hotfix

either mount your PE WIM or add the following to your PE creation process

peimg /import=c:\KB929777.cab /image=c:\mount\windows

Make sure that the package is there in PE by typing

peimg /list /image=mount\windows

install it

peimg /install=*Package* mount\windows

That should get the hotfix added to PE for you :)

Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. I tried to boot it up again to make an image of my C: drive and it did the same BSOD again. I simply hit the reset button and tried it again and it worked that time. So at the moment it appears to be random. So I'm not sure if applying the hotfix to the image helped any or not. I have booted 2 out of 3 attempts so far though, and before the patch (3 or 4 attempts maybe) it never booted.

Edited by Omnius