GUIDE: Integrating .Net Framework 3.5, 3.0 SP1, 2.0 SP1

If you ever look into making an installer similarly to Tomcat76 this script does the dirty-work of moving and deleting the correct files

@echo off
title DarkShadows .NET 3.5, 3.0 SP1, 2.0 SP1 installer
if not exist dotnetfx35.exe echo You dont have dotnetfx35.exe in this directory!&PAUSE&EXIT
dotnetfx35.exe /X:TEMP /quiet
xcopy Temp\wcu\dotNetFramework\*.* Temp\ /S
RD /S /Q Temp\wcu\
DEL Temp\dotNetFX20\*64*.*
DEL Temp\dotNetFX30\*64*.*
DEL Temp\dotNetFX35\*64*.*
RD /S /Q Temp\dotNetFX30\x64
RD /S /Q Temp\dotNetFX35\x64
RD /S /Q Temp\dotNetFX35\ia64
RD /S /Q Temp\dotNetMSP\x64

Okay folks, I just took a look at this process again today. I installed Windows XP to a Virtual PC with its network adapter disabled. Now, I did not notice any error dialogs during installation (but then again I wasn't sitting there, eyes peeled on my VPC for an hour and a half either). Certainly, nothing stopped my unattended installation. However, that doesn't mean everything went as we would like it to. In fact after rebooting, the VPC did not have .Net Framework 2.0 SP1, 3.0 SP1, or 3.5 installed. (I installed DNF20.exe from SVCPACK). So clearly something was being downloaded by the installation before, that it could no longer get to after I pulled the plug on the VPC's NIC. So clearly the installer is sucking some files down from the Internet during the PC Build. Since I build PCs on a network, and my WINNT.SIF file has all the correct settings for the network, I hadn't noticed up until now.

So it seems that either:

1. I am deleting too much from DNF35_WORK (less likely IMO). Or,
  2. The fully distributable .NET 3.5 installer isn't smart enough to check to see if some components have already been installed (more likely IMO).

Well then this technique doesn't really help us speed wise, we might as well keep the full .Net 3.5 distributable on the XPCD. But that doesn't help us space wise since the sucker is 200 MB! Personally I want to install my Catalyst drivers so I still need to install DNF20.exe from svcpack. I was hoping to cut out the other redundant files.

Okay, color me clueless again. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi

Why don't you read the instructions posted by guys from M$?

After I read the instructions posted on Aaron Stebner's blog, I made dotNET silent installers for

both Windows XP 32 bit and 64 bit.

dotNET2.0

dotNET3.0

Try to open these links with I.E.

Sizes:

.net2.0SP1&.net3.0SP1&.net3.5 x86 = 39.6 MB

.net2.0SP1&.net3.0SP1&.net3.5 x64 = 54.5 MB

Both installed without errors.

Batch script sample for x86 installer:

@echo off
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx20sp1\Netfx20a_x86.msi /qb! /norestart VSEXTUI=1
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx30sp1\WIC_X86_ENU.exe /quiet /nobackup /norestart
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx30sp1\XPSEPSC-x86-en-US.exe /quiet /nobackup /norestart
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx30sp1\MSXML\msxml6.msi /qb! /norestart
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx30sp1\RGB9RAST_x86.msi /qb! /norestart
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx30sp1\Netfx30a_x86.msi /qb! /norestart VSEXTUI=1
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx35\vs_setup.msi /qb! /norestart VSEXTUI=1
exit

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you radix, with your links i was finaly able to complete all .net installation!

Only problem i get is dot net 3.0 czech language package don't install normally - it writes that i have allready newer version of it and cancel installation. However i can unpack it and install it with vs_setup.msi /qb! /norestart VSEXTUI=1 but still can't uninstall it. Weird. BTW funny is that i install 3.0 in T-12 with these two 2004 errors i can install and uninstall langpack without problems :)

Edited by Lolita

• 4 weeks later...
C:\DNF35_WORK

|

+---dotNetFX20 .................... (delete this folder)

|

+---dotNetFX30

| | Netfx30a_x64.msi .......... (delete this file)

| | RGB9RAST_x64.msi .......... (delete this file)

| | WCF_64.msp ................ (delete this file)

| | WCS_64.msp ................ (delete this file)

| | WF_64.msp ................. (delete this file)

| | WIC_x64_enu.exe ........... (delete this file)

| | WPF1_64.msp ............... (delete this file)

| | WPF2_64.msp ............... (delete this file)

| | WPF_Other_64.msp .......... (delete this file)

| | XPSEPSC-amd64-en-US.exe ... (delete this file)

| |

| \---x64 ....................... (delete this subfolder)

|

+---dotNetFX35

| +---ia64 ...................... (delete this subfolder)

| |

| \---x64 ....................... (delete this subfolder)

|

\---dotNetMSP

|

\---x64 ....................... (delete this subfolder)

hi all,

I have learned a few things from this post, DarkShadows thanks for the effort.

And i have one issue i cant figure out:

1) I Use Silent .Net Maker by Tomcat76 to make DNF11.exe and DNF20.exe packages

2) I followed your steps to the letter for creating DNF35.exe

3) for testing i installed winXP(sp2) on my laptop and executed dnf11.exe and dnf20.exe, so i installed both, and restarted my laptop

4) when the laptop booted i executed dnf35.exe, and this is where i got stuck, DNF35.exe wants to download things, i guess, and installation reported it cannot download blah, blah, blah........

I h8 when i get stuck almost at the very end of everything :D

I tried again to make DNF35.exe, but this time i didn't delete dotNetFX20 folder, so i left it there,(only deleted 64bit)

and now it works, but in add/remove it reports dotnetframework2.0SP1 and dotnetframeworkSP1, does it really matter?

14bowhh.jpg

any advice or suggestion is more than welcome :thumbup

cheers

Edited by dado023

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Why don't you read the instructions posted by guys from M$?

After I read the instructions posted on Aaron Stebner's blog, I made dotNET silent installers for

both Windows XP 32 bit and 64 bit.

dotNET2.0

dotNET3.0

Try to open these links with I.E.

Sizes:

.net2.0SP1&.net3.0SP1&.net3.5 x86 = 39.6 MB

.net2.0SP1&.net3.0SP1&.net3.5 x64 = 54.5 MB

Both installed without errors.

Batch script sample for x86 installer:

@echo off
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx20sp1\Netfx20a_x86.msi /qb! /norestart VSEXTUI=1
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx30sp1\WIC_X86_ENU.exe /quiet /nobackup /norestart
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx30sp1\XPSEPSC-x86-en-US.exe /quiet /nobackup /norestart
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx30sp1\MSXML\msxml6.msi /qb! /norestart
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx30sp1\RGB9RAST_x86.msi /qb! /norestart
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx30sp1\Netfx30a_x86.msi /qb! /norestart VSEXTUI=1
start /wait msiexec.exe /i netfx35\vs_setup.msi /qb! /norestart VSEXTUI=1
exit

Hi radix,

is it possible to build a german silent-installer for the FW20/FW30?

Best regards

cool400 :ph34r:

I am installing DotNet 1.1, 2+SP1, 3+SP1, & 3.5 SVCPACK style. No problems with the installation.

Everything works fine but the event viewer shows a whole list of warnings regarding .Net 2.

Basically saying IIS isn't installed and a whole bunch of things couldn't install because of it.

I am using nLite 1.4.5.2 and IIS is set to Install.

After setup finishes I go to Add Remove Programs/Windows Components and IIS is not installed. Any ideas?

I just don't like seeing warnings or errors in the event viewer after a clean install!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

First I want to thank you DS. With the help of your guide and Tomcats info I was able to accomplish what I set out to do.

I started out with a version of XP that already had SP3 integrated into it. My goal was to create a new unattended version that had all the updates and hotfixes to date, including DotNet35.

As far as I can tell, it worked splendidly.

AddRun.JPG

The only thing scratching at my OCD now is this...

MicUp.JPG

I didn't bother with KB959772 because I've never heard of anyone actually buying music from microsoft, and would discourage any of my clients from doing so.

I skipped the service pack for .NET 1.1 because I read here somewhere that 1.1 was obsolete anyway.

But did I miss installing something potentially useful to cause MS to list KB951847 among my needs? Or perhaps the better question is, should I care?

While I'm here I might as well take a whack at the only other bump in my road...

On the disk I started with, there are a couple of .reg files in the $OEM$ folder with long lists of performance and visual tweaks, which I can confirm are being merged into the registry. Some of the entries seem to conflict with tweaks in other .cmd and nlite files, so I'd like to get rid of them after I gleen what I like. But first I want to figure out how they are being installed in the first place. I've looked through all the .sif, .cmd, .inf and .bat files I can find and none of them seems to refer to these .reg files. Is it the case that .reg files in the $OEM$ folder are automatically imported, or do I need to keep looking?

Edited by Raybo58