DriverForge v5.0! - An Automatic Driver Installer

kickarse

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

This looks very neat, this should work perfect for a project of mine.

Question = when the ini file is filled out properly for unattended, just running DriverForge.v.4.1.2.exe will automatically install the drivers, no switches are needed ?

Thanks I will test soon.

EDIT:

can I use this

DriverExtract=%SYSTEMDRIVE%\

instead of this

DriverExtract=C:\

Edited by Sull

This looks very neat, this should work perfect for a project of mine.

Question = when the ini file is filled out properly for unattended, just running DriverForge.v.4.1.2.exe will automatically install the drivers, no switches are needed ?

Thanks I will test soon.

EDIT:

can I use this

DriverExtract=%SYSTEMDRIVE%\

instead of this

DriverExtract=C:\

That should work. Or you could try @systemdrive . And yes to your first question. :)

Great idea and a great tool!! Kudos. Kickarse!

One problem though:

I noticed that if I extracted USB drivers into C:\DRIVERS for example, detected and installed all drivers, and finally deleted C:\DRIVERS permanently. The next time I insert a USB thumbdrive/hdd, the system will not be able to find the drivers it needs, not even USB drivers that originally came with XP. I believe the tool may have changed the search path and points to C:\DRIVERS instead. Because of this, I normally extract the drivers deep inside "%SystemDirectory%\Driverforge" and let them be just in case...

I tested not from the latest version but several revisions back, so I am not sure if this has since been fixed already or not.

Cheers,

kickarse,

Or you could try @systemdrive

Your saying with @, I am not sure if it was doing anything with %SYSTEMDRIVE%\ I was just testing in VMWARE so I cant really say much until I try actually install on my MicroPC.. I just want to limit the amount of times I have to test it.

Great idea and a great tool!! Kudos. Kickarse!

One problem though:

I noticed that if I extracted USB drivers into C:\DRIVERS for example, detected and installed all drivers, and finally deleted C:\DRIVERS permanently. The next time I insert a USB thumbdrive/hdd, the system will not be able to find the drivers it needs, not even USB drivers that originally came with XP. I believe the tool may have changed the search path and points to C:\DRIVERS instead. Because of this, I normally extract the drivers deep inside "%SystemDirectory%\Driverforge" and let them be just in case...

I tested not from the latest version but several revisions back, so I am not sure if this has since been fixed already or not.

Cheers,

Yeah I fixed that issue. If you select to delete drivers then it'll revert it back to whatever was there before.

KK I'm going to play the dumbarse noob now.

I want to use this as a all-in-one CD not from usb.

#1 The drivers are staying compressed on the CD.

#2 I want them extracted to %SYSTEMROOT%\Drivers

#3 They can be deleted aftaerwards.

#4 I wold like to see the hardware manager during the proccess.

As far as I have read a variable will work fine for the extraction but how do I denote a %cdrom% variable?

Or just me being lazy can someone post me an ini file?

KK I'm going to play the dumbarse noob now.

I want to use this as a all-in-one CD not from usb.

#1 The drivers are staying compressed on the CD.

#2 I want them extracted to %SYSTEMROOT%\Drivers

#3 They can be deleted aftaerwards.

#4 I wold like to see the hardware manager during the proccess.

As far as I have read a variable will work fine for the extraction but how do I denote a %cdrom% variable?

Or just me being lazy can someone post me an ini file?

Just use the options

[AutoInstall]
ShowDevMgr=Y

[Driver]
7zRoot=Y
7zRootLoc=Path\To\Driver\Folder
DriverExtract=%systemroot%\Drivers
7zLoc=

I would suggest that if you're going to delete the drivers that you put them in a folder other than %systemroot%\INF . Because it'll delete the folder %systemroot%\inf . The program would be on the CD-Rom and the folder for the compressed drivers would be in a the same folder as the program.

So %cdrom%\DriverForge\DriverForge.v4.1.2.exe

and %cdrom%\DriverForge\CompressedDriversFolder

I have to redo the drivers location approach. It's a bit convoluted and confusing. Soon it'll be just 7zRoot and 7zLoc, and DriverRoot and DriverExtract, nixing 7zRootloc and DriverRootLoc.

its easy. this is what you have to do.

it doesnt matter were u have your files on a cd but the easyest way is to have your drivers in a subfolder in the directory were u have DriverForge.exe

lets say this is your setup

X:\DriverForge\DriverForge.exe

X:\DriverForge\Drivers\(anything in here or subfolders deeper)

you directory would just be \Drivers

Question of my Own.

Does this work on windows 2000 because when i try in run it on Windows 2000 i get some kind of error after i hit start.

Edited by slipk487

its easy. this is what you have to do.

it doesnt matter were u have your files on a cd but the easyest way is to have your drivers in a subfolder in the directory were u have DriverForge.exe

lets say this is your setup

X:\DriverForge\DriverForge.exe

X:\DriverForge\Drivers\(anything in here or subfolders deeper)

you directory would just be \Drivers

Question of my Own.

Does this work on windows 2000 because when i try in run it on Windows 2000 i get some kind of error after i hit start.

I've only tested in XP. I don't know if it'll work on 2000. Can you print screen the error??

• 4 weeks later...

sorry it took so long to get to. I've been busy at work and haven't had a change before to test the error again but i have the error now. it happens during the installing drivers portion.

post-111781-1210789574_thumb.jpg

Edited by slipk487