Hello,

System:

AMD64 3800+

2x1024 MB memory

X1950XT GPU

Rocketteer 600w PSU

ASUS A8V-MVP with ATi Xpress200 chipset

Problem:

The system works fine, but my soundcard is a worry of. Most drivers on both Vista an X64 won't work properly with them. The sound is crappy and clipping and now I'm stick with X64 original drivers out of 3-2003. These one sounds good.

What I encounter is some freezes in games. The game and sound hangs and the system reboots and under X64 only that part of the game restarts and I can play go on (X64 won't crash Vista restarts).

Games freezes both in Vista and X64 with the Catalyst 7.11 drivers.

What I've done so far:

1. I discovered that my monitor fits on Display 2 and 1 is off. I change this and there no more 3 times black screen at logging in. I've played for 50 minutes UT2004 and no error occurs. 32-bots in a game.

2. Next I've had downloaded ATi Tray Tools instead of that hogging Catalyst Control Center. I'm now using the 7.8 Catalyst and no 7.11 or 7.12. At version 7.12 my display goes yellowness when wanting edit display properties and with 7.8 not any issue with display settings.

3. In ATT I've changed the fanspeed of the GPU manually by a scheme. Now it works harder when gaming. Last time I check this out the GPU fan rotates very slow and the card whas reasonable hot. I've only to check the heatpipe. Yes, nice cooldesign :)

4. Load BIOS defaults and my mem is clipped at 333 MHz instead of 400 MHz. (But timings are also far lower so I don't encounter any performancedrop yet)

But I think it is the GPU himself. Yesterday with a 3 hour compression test no CRC error occurs. (Just compres the whole UT2004 map from 9 GB with the highest option in 7-zip 64-bit edition, consumes lots of RAM).

Why? In Aero I switch regulairy from desktop to game and back. Between these two I saw green lines on the screen. Very very short, but that green lines won't be fine. In X64 with Catalyst 7.8 I don't saw anything between switching. I know that green lines are not welcome.

The fan of the GPU whas not dirty at all. I check that out by removing the card and watch it thouroughly. Nothing unasual and everything is properly fit and the whole card is cooled. (Not dirty in this kind of dusty home?? You got him?).

PS: My GPU has never been overclocked 1 MHz.

O yes, not forgotten to say:

PCI-Express stoods on FAST mode. I set it back to NORMAL.

Edited by Extravert

Update 1

A few hours ago I get a beautifull Blue screen at bootup on ATi Tray Tools driver. Direct after the restart the driver whas gone and I've install it again with CCC and it won't crash with CCC so far.

It is not a heating problem. The card won't ever reach the 60 degrees Celsius and the cooler is clean and works properly.

*Is looking

3 month after warranty offcourse :angry:

Has somebody here on this whole planet some tips? It will help me out.

PS: I've disabled the ATK110 utility update with brute force (I could only remove the sys file in the system32 folder because it couldn't be disabled by any hand) and at this very time it won't crash.

The ATK110 util is the second suspect! I've had problems in the past with Vista. Vista without the update forget my graphic driver after rebooting and shows the "PCI to ISA bridge" is gone.

Why I'm posting this. I can buy me a brandnew 8800GTS with no hazzle, but it is not worth my money because I'm very satisfactory with the prestations of this card. I must be sure it is the card and that it has no relationship with the ATK110 utility. I won't throw my money away if the problems steys resident with a new card, that's my reason.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Offcourse, you could aspect the same from me ;)

Update2:

Come get some! The sounds never sounds so good without the ATK110 util. The problems with the soundcard are gone ??!

Strange system. The blue screen whas a "IRQ_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUALL" with ATTray64.sys.

Update 3:

I've just played two skirmish matches in UT3 and no problem.

What is the purposial of the ATK110 utility??

Edited by Extravert

Nobody?

Enfin, write my own logboek. I still continue so I can this thread show on the store where the system goes to at monday.

At this night I saw no blue screen or anything other strange. But Vista won't work properly anymore so I decided this night to kill Vista hard and stay with Windows X64.

Vista gave me a terrible soundquality and green lines in Aero and in X64 I saw not one artefact during gaming. In Windows X64 the system goes properly in and out stand-by without any hazzle. Even without the ATK110 util.

First I'm telling at monday that the main suspect is the ATK110 utility. My system don't like this one and without it Vista works fine, but forgot my drivers by every restart. Windows X64 forget it only after the blue screen otherwise not. So Vista is out. :}

Strange, tonight I game for three hours and nothing happend. I keep my eyes peeled.

The first time I hear a motherboard works fine without the driver :shock:

Edited by Extravert

Hella yes :angry: a freeze again.

I ran Prime95 for 3 hours and no error occurs because I've take out the half of my RAM.

Maybe it depends on that. I was asleep and everything was fine when I woke up.

With 4 banks (4x1 GB) the RAM could be never run at 400 MHz (DDR1) and the highest

speed available were 385 MHz. Now the RAM runs at the full 400 MHz. 2 banks are empty

now.

Could badly RAM cause a total lock-up with no blue screen and a reboot. I've change

the setting by installing this version not to reboot when crashes, but is does. When

XP is loaded again after the crash I can continue my work directly and has no message.

Nor any error in my event log :no::} so I've no evidence.

I know that the AMD64 CPU has it's own memorycontroller. Maybe this one might

be faulty. With 2 banks filles, no error yet.

Yess :thumbup A Freeze again :thumbup

It may depend on the GPU I figured out. Windows X64 will reset the graphics core 6 times a hour.

I can't run UT3 anymore and the other games were fine. This system goes back to his store.

Without the VPU recover option in the Catalyst I can't run anything.

The only thing I'm sure of that's it may not depend on my memory or CPU.

Many thanks for the input.

Then I bought direct a 8800GTX. Now the time is so far.

Edited by Extravert

Lat post I make.

@Admin: Is my way of writing the problems not welcome? If so, it were not my intention at any kind.

It is usual for me to keep a diary from my system on a forum and why? First for the store were it came from.

Because other trespassers can read the problem. Not only for me and I'm hoping someone else could give a reply.

Best Mod, if I doing somethings wrong, please report to me. My intention is to help other people around the globe and hopefully

you understand that I'm a little dissapointed. I've a serious problem with my system and it is a sneaky problem because my system

has no crash the past 4 hours and I've played UT3 without no hazzle But,,

At the movie after the first mission the system will hang at exactly the same place in the move as before. As soon as Malcom give his hand to you it goes wrong. I can regenerate that.

Is it the CPU? I think not because: If the movie crashes in Windows X64 only the movie wil be skipped and I can go on and under Vista the whole system reboots. ALT+TAB still works flawlessly without any green lines of that kind of misere. The desktop cames back fully functional. If it was my CPU the whole system will hang and VPU recover could not do his job, without CPU, no work.

I've had one reboot in Windows X64 and this were before the BIOS settings. Since then no reboot.

Last things I've tried:

1. Vcore were at 1.375 and I set it to 1.4 volt. Speedfan shows 1,38 volt Vcore and my Venice needs 1.35-1.4 volt but hopefully this helps. Since then no crashes, but I don't klap my hands. It is too short for some celebration yet.

2. The memory goes from 2.6 volt to 2.7 volt. This RAM should be used at 2,6 volt, but I set it to 2.700 volt. Hmmm.

3. Three hours prime95 gave me no errors.

4. VPU recover had not yet done a recovery within this very 40 minutes. It crashes earlier 6 times a hour.

5. Vcore overvolting stand off and Sbridge overvolting stand also at off.

PCI-E voltage stands on +1.20 Volt. Could this be higher? eg +1.30 volt? Not for overclocking purposes, but for stability.

PS: Before a crash, first the sounds became serious pitched. 5 minutes before it. Only in the UT3 campaign, not when I'm online.

I set the channels from 32 to 16 and no help.

At this time I've my 4x1 GB fitted at 400 MHz. Strange, first it won't even run at 400 Mhz and the system did not boot up. And after the Vcore modification it does withoud problems. Even the RAM is errorfree. This RAM still works for 2 years and I've had never earlier issues with it. So RAM is not the suspect one.

PS: Some eventviewer pics

knipsel884.png

knipsel2290.png

knipsel3563.png

Edited by Extravert

Hella yes, I'm too good for this world :)

The system is back in home and the costs were 20,85 euro! What whas wrong?

This store (the best I knew in the wide surroundings and this is a corporate one and not for consuments, but via my work I can do this :) !! ) has demontated the GPU coller. The producer of this card has use too much pasta and the silverpasta creates a shortcut in the circuit by using that special line. (Found this kind of problem, excellent work!!). After cleaning it up and testing the system 12 hours with a excessivce torture test and it passes. :thumbup

Edit. The PCI to ISA bridge problem in Vista and the lost of drivers in Vista has due to a bug in the BIOS. Now it is confirmed. They were already confrontated with this question.

I've learn much from him and I works for eighteen years in this job.

The most amazing fact is that the videocard survives this shortcut and not once, nearly a mirakel. Ik saw no artefacts en no freeze.

===============

5 days after intense use, NO freeze encountered :yes:

And up with 4096 MB :yes: 4 sticks together works flawlessy here on my A8R-MVP board.

The errors in the viewer stay, but it has not any impact on my daily use as poweruser.

Machinecheck event, the fiered one is already there for a year and only cames up when resuming after sleep, but why? I encounter no hazzle at al when waking up.

All hardware is enabled now and not any soundissue with the WDM driver out of 2003 ... and the most funniest part is; no reinstal needed at all. A golden grail for X64. It survives it al.

Edited by Extravert