• 26-40 WPM
    • 41-60 WPM
    • 61-80 WPM
    • 81-100 WPM
    • 101-120 WPM
    • 121-130 WPM
    • Hunt 'n peck
    • Really fast! (Faster than 130 WPM)
  2. 2. Does your typing speed vary a lot?

• A lot (>20%)
    • Some (11-20%)
    • Not very much (0-10%)
  3. 3. What type of keyboard do you usually use?

• QWERTY
    • DVORAK
    • non-english
    • other

I voted 1-3-3. Barely passed Typing in college (major AS in Systems); teacher had mercy on me (C+). Key a lot, but have to go back and correct. Lost left index finger... DANG that slowed me down!!!

Moral - don't lose stuff you may need later, even if it doesn't work that good in the first place (hint, hint)...

I wonder if its worth it to learn DVORAK?

If you've just started with typing (most people here aren't in that category though), then learn dvorak - it's supposedly better. I personally find it extremely confusing, since I'm used to QWERTY. The other downside is few people use dvorak, so you'll still have to use qwerty at the internet cafe/school/friend's house/etc.

I think that typing speed test is both bogus and cool.

Bogus in the sense I think it's inflating my wpm (or was it cps). Maybe I read the units wrong.

It's cool since it actually will let you BACKSPACE!!! That always threw me off when using those typing tutor programs. When I hit the wrong key, I usually "feel it". So my inclination is to go back to correct it, not continue as though nothing happened. Then the backspace attempt counted as another error! GRR...

Wow! You're fast... :blink:

Is that a mac... or just a mac theme?

It better not be a mac... :ph34r:

:P

You should try IMing him some time. His response speed is unreal! I suspect he uses large amounts of amphetamines :P And yeah, he is a Mac user :rolleyes:

I've heard how superior DVORAK is for a long time but have never actually seen a DVORAK board in real life.

Neat poll!

I find most people into computers usually have some typing skill. Actually, it's almost essential to productivity when it comes to programming. In one class, it paid off, because I finished a 2 hr final project in the computer lab (one header in a print report off) that the instructor designed to not be finished in that time period. Of course, copying code helps, but also helps to get it entered in the first place quickly. Probably shocked the guy. :thumbup

Oh: 104wpm, 1 mistake.

Edited by Glenn9999