HD-DVD Playback without an HDCP video card.

Rob00GT

I've recently added an Xbox360 external HD-DVD player to my computer with the hope of playing HD movies. This just has not worked out. With Cyberlink PowerDVD I get the "incompatible video driver" error when I try to play HD-DVD's. With Nero Showtime I get "Unable to read part of a file on the DVD. Playback may be affected."

Here's my setup:

ATI Athlon X2 4800+

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

2GB of Corsair DDR400

Windows XP Pro SP2 (with all the latest patches)

Xbox360 HD-DVD external drive

Video Card Info:

ATI All-In-Wonder X800XL

ATI Catalyst v7.11

Driver v8.432

HD Playback Software:

Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 7.3.3516

Nero Showtime 3.10.1.0

Monitor: Dell 2407WFP

As nearly as I can tell my only component that holding me back is my non-HDCP video card. All drivers and software are up to date, including both software players. Neither one will allow me to actually play an HD-DVD movie.

Is there any way to get the playback to work without upgrading my video card? I really don't want to have to buy yet another video card just for the ability to watch movies.

I'm using the free trial of AnyDVD HD and it does allow playback using Nero Showtime. It does NOT allow PowerDVD Ultra to work, I still get the same error message.

One additional benefit I've noticed is that AnyDVD HD allows me to rip DVD's using DVD Shrink that are normally unrippable using that software. Not bad.