January 8th Windows Vista Updates

metfan2006

I turned on my computer yesterday morning and I noticed there were 7 new updates for Vista (The Jan 8th updates, they were the SP1 prerequisites). I have Vista Ultimate x64 by the way. My motherboard is the Socket AM2 GA-M55Plus-S3g (Nforce 430/410 chipset), I am running a dual core X2 6000+ with 4 GB memory and have a Nvidia 7300GT video card. The Nvidia drivers installed are the ones that Vista updated on it's own.

After I let Vista install the updates, it went through it's usual process and then went to the "Windows is configuring updates" screen. The problem is that it stayed on that screen and did not reboot. I let it stay on for about half an hour because there was sporadic HD activity. For about the last 10 minutes there was no HD activity at all so I hit the reset button.

Did anyone else notice this when they installed the updates?

Edited by metfan2006

Hello and welcome to THE forum! :hello: Do the updates show as installed?

Thanks!! :thumbup

I actually had to do it twice, the first time it wouldn't restart, I reset the computer after half an hour and the updates showed as failed. Then I did it again, the computer still wouldn't reboot, but this time they showed up as successful. This is really weird, I heard of other people having the same problem.

A friend of mine who uses Ultimate x86 had no problems at all. The reason I use x64 is so I can use the full 4GB of memory, plus I like the better security of an x64 system.

Edited by metfan2006

I actually had to do it twice, the first time it wouldn't restart, I reset the computer after half an hour and the updates showed as failed. Then I did it again, the computer still wouldn't reboot, but this time they showed up as successful. This is really weird, I heard of other people having the same problem.

A friend of mine who uses Ultimate x86 had no problems at all. The reason I use x64 is so I can use the full 4GB of memory, plus I like the better security of an x64 system.

Yes, I know this is a problem these days.

I'm lucky, the updates installs correctly here and no hazzles at all. It rebooted fast.

My neightboor has the same problem and what helps is a reboot and indeed, update again.

As far as I can guess, this is a bug of Vista with specific drivers.

I've had a hard to do to, to get some good sound out of my soundcard. Now it sounds clear with alternative drivers :)

SP1 has some fixes about HD audio on-board chips what has to due with sleep and resuming.

My advice is to try SP1 for Vista. It came with new hardware supoport. Download that whole big thing and install it.

Yes, I know this is a problem these days.

I'm lucky, the updates installs correctly here and no hazzles at all. It rebooted fast.

My neightboor has the same problem and what helps is a reboot and indeed, update again.

As far as I can guess, this is a bug of Vista with specific drivers.

I've had a hard to do to, to get some good sound out of my soundcard. Now it sounds clear with alternative drivers :)

SP1 has some fixes about HD audio on-board chips what has to due with sleep and resuming.

My advice is to try SP1 for Vista. It came with new hardware supoport. Download that whole big thing and install it.

If Microsoft is already pushing the pre-requisites for SP1, the actual service pack might not be far off. I heard they were ahead of schedule, we'll see I guess.

I've installed these updates w/o a problem but computer won't go back to windows after reboot... Flashes blue screen at Vista load screen and instantly reboots itself. Had to use Vista CD to roll back the changes to get back in :(

I've installed these updates w/o a problem but computer won't go back to windows after reboot... Flashes blue screen at Vista load screen and instantly reboots itself. Had to use Vista CD to roll back the changes to get back in :(

I now have the same blue screen problem as you. These updates from Jan 8th basically screwed my system. Don't they test these updates before they post them on Windows Update? :angry::realmad:

I don't have this problem on another computer that has x86 Ultimate installed.