Who own's the postings on MSFN?

PsiMoon314

MSFN cannot be held liable for any damage to physical or intellectual property. MSFN is not responsible for posts, comments or views of our members. All posts and comments remain the copyright of the posters. MSFN reserves the right to edit, delete or move posts made on this site.

Man, we started back in 2001 and never had any issue about copyright. Hope this clear this "issue" out.

I am attempting to clarify what appears to be a misconception that MSFN owns the posts and has the right to do what it like with the information contained within them. I am afraid it doesn't and to claim otherwise is false.
Actually, my explaination sums it up perfectly. MSFN does not have the right to redistribute the material under our own name/brand, but we have every right to edit the content of the posts as per the forum rules and registration agreement.
As you don't seem to be aware of the fact, a contract cannot give you the right to break the law. This is so basic that I am surprised I have to make this clear.
Nobody's talking about breaking any laws, and MSFN has not broken any laws regarding this matter.
If this were not the case then the law would be meaningless as any contract anywhere could in effect reverse a particular law. For example, you would have the right to end someone's life because they signed a contract that said you could do this. This is clearly not the case.
It depends on the law, and on the nature of the contract. In your example, the contract that was signed gives evidence of assisting someone in suicide (that's the view that would be taken in Canada at the least), and the person still living would be persecuted as such.

EDIT - As a further note, I'll give an example of something even more pressing that I face every day. I'm currently a master's student at the University of British Columbia. I have been employed in a research lab here on campus, and my employment contract clearly states that any intelectual property that I develop while employed is the property of the research lab, and therefore the university. This is perfectly acceptable under Canadian and American copyright laws, and gives a perfect example of how a contract can be used to transfer the rights of IP.

Hi Zxian,

Indeed I have worked under such contracts as well regarding the transfer of IP to my employers. I don't like them personally but sometimes is unavoidable.

However I don't believe that there is any such term in the conditions of use for MSFN. I am therefore guessing that any IP members might generate would still belong to them?

Anyway it's becoming clear that many of you are thinking I am just picking a fight or causing trouble so lets leave the issue there.

The issue can be discussed by whom ever whats to and you can come you what ever conclusions you wish to come to.

If you wish to amend the terms of use of MSFN then just let everyone know what the new terms are.

As a suggestion perhaps this issue has been worked on before and I would guess that the EFF might be able to offer help and advice on this matter, probably for free :)

For those of you who wish to start learning about copyright then I would suggest that the following articles might give you the outline:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

The most directly relevant International Treaty would appear to be the Berne Convention which is covered by this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convent..._Artistic_Works

Basically it's tricky stuff and you do need to take care when dealing with it.

I will send an e-mail to the EFF and see what they have to say about this issue.

Kind Regards

Simon

I'm not suggesting that you're picking a fight, you have however deliberately changed the meaning of what was said in order to begin a debate.

The only fight now lies with getting you to answer any of our questions or substantiate any of your comments. It appears to me that you cannot do so and will therefore 'leave the issue there'

As a responsible and well known international forum, if we are breaking any laws, which you've suggested we have, then please tell us what they are, we'll take a look and make any required ammendments to our system of work.

There is an interesting comment on this thread from a mod regarding the ownership of information and postings placed on MSFN.

I just 'read' that single-post thread in question and couldn't help laughing out loud :thumbup. Not only is it utterly confusing because of poor English, multiple unrelated questions raised simultaneously and a blatant lack of logical reasoning. But also must it have been sheer unreadable before Yzowl's radical pruning measures took place.

Therefore it is the worst possible starting point for a discussion about intellectual property or moderators' rights - let alone international law.

You, PsiMoon314, chose to defend a perceived victim of copyright infringment - but at the same time you couldn't bring yourself to posting a reply to the single-post thread you took as the foundation of your argument.

For that reason I, too, question your motivation behind opening this thread. You have no intention of making msfn a more informative or law-abiding place. You simply want to pass time arguing with the higher-ups because you secretly envy them for the privileges they enjoy.

For that reason I, too, question your motivation behind opening this thread. You have no intention of making msfn a more informative or law-abiding place. You simply want to pass time arguing with the higher-ups because you secretly envy them for the privileges they enjoy.

Agree and topic closed.