Alternative to nLite

Kaneda

Hey all,

I am using nLite now privately, soon in three languages (for my family and friends too). However, the EULA states it is not for office use, as part of an IT department though I reallz need a tool like it. So is there an alternative to nLite? HFSLIP seems to only supports English XP, whereas I need Japanese support as well.

And while we are at it, is there a specific reason that nLite is restricted to private use?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

regards,

kaneda

WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much of a liability for lawsuits and technically it breaks the EULA of Windows.

That means it is technically illegal? And why the danger of lawsuits, if it is explicitly stated that any use is on everybody's own risk, isn't that enough?

In other words, the EULA restriction is not about some moral/taste/preference issue that Nuhi doesn't like nLite to be used in corporate environments, but just abut possible liability and EULA limitation if he explicitly allows it?

So if someone breaks the EULA, it is rather his own problem if something happens, but further than that nobody cares...?

Edited by Kaneda

Look at it this way. Some dumbass (not you :D ) Uses nlite to make a disk for a corporation and deploys it on a thousand pc's. Something goes horibbly wrong and either a: the company goes down or b: the company loses critical info on thousands of members to the public or even worse c: the company looses thousands of dollars . All because some joe uses nLite to cut corners or cheat. Now the crap storm comes down on him and who does he redirect it to?

NUHI

Then the company goes after nuhi for the losses and sues the holy crap outta him for making the program. Yes it could be done. Nuhi is actually being very smart in making a FREE program and putting the disclamer in there...

As for breaking the EULA just the simple fact of using a modified uxtheme does break the EULA any time you modify the files in windows you break the all important EULA. We walk a fine line here just like AutoPatcher did some joe from AU called ms and asked about the distribution of it and all of a sudden BLAMO AU is gone. At anytime all of the little projects like 98se SP2 and any of them that distributes MS files or Modified files can be slammed down.

It has been legally looked into very closely and is shown that when you by a copy of windows you don't actually own the software. You are just paying to use it with MS'es permission.

What functionality which nLite offers would you like to use in a business environment? Integrating service packs, hotfixes and such can be done manually as well. Silent installations, tweaks, et cetera during the setup process can be handled manually as well via SVCPACK.INF for example. Removing default Windows features is not advisory in a business environment. So what's left then for which you need nLite? ;)

Yeah, it is about the SP and hotfixes as well as Unattended Installations and minor Tweaks (such as Documents and Settings to another partition).

I know it can be done in other ways too, but I am kinda new to all this and I am not sure if I have the time to learn to do all that manually, since I also have other work on my job. And in the end this is only a part of so much stuff to change here in my office regarding software (patched Admin Installation points, WSUS, others software patch/deployment management), that I am looking for rather easy-to-use, but tested and reliable solutions.

And nLite IS easy-to-use, even if it still doesn't slipstream those 4 annoying updates I mentioned in another thread ;)

PS: forgot to mention, I need dual-language...both Japanese and English support. So without such a handy tool, it will be double work...

Edited by Kaneda

• 1 year later...
Yeah, it is about the SP and hotfixes as well as Unattended Installations and minor Tweaks (such as Documents and Settings to another partition).

I know it can be done in other ways too, but I am kinda new to all this and I am not sure if I have the time to learn to do all that manually, since I also have other work on my job. And in the end this is only a part of so much stuff to change here in my office regarding software (patched Admin Installation points, WSUS, others software patch/deployment management), that I am looking for rather easy-to-use, but tested and reliable solutions.

And nLite IS easy-to-use, even if it still doesn't slipstream those 4 annoying updates I mentioned in another thread ;)

PS: forgot to mention, I need dual-language...both Japanese and English support. So without such a handy tool, it will be double work...

I'm in a slightly different situation here. I am NOT a developer, but a Network Administrator that was thrown in to do a "slipstream" process of Windows XP w/SP3, etc., inherited by Joe Blow colleague who chose to use nLite and who didn't document his work, and then later was fired due to personnel circumstances, but I digress. I don't have the time to learn all the intricacies with all my other job duties, nor do everything manually, too.

There are things that are developed that make this less time-consuming (thank you to those that do this), and much easier for me (fully appreciate that), especially when there are multiple different workstation/laptops being tossed in at once, and each have their own special flavor added to the mix that needs to be compared, verified, downloaded, upgraded, blah blah blah, which burdens my time to make my Help Desk and their customers happy.

So, if there is an EASIER method than nLite, I'm all ears to this and would appreciate the feedback.

Thank you.