Vista crashes after update

zetto

Hey there, did anyone else experience crash with Vista at boot? I've installed today's updates, and after rebooting the system, I found that vista would not load, no matter what. It flashes a blue screen during load (fraction of a second, couldn't read the error message) and then reboots the computer. The only way to get back in is to roll back the updates using Vista CD repair function. I have Vista Home premium (dell notebook). Any suggestions?

You can go safe mode?

uncheck auto restart.

I had a few updates yesterday, then overnight I got another and when I rebooted, I think it had a brain fart and rebooted again, but I caught it when I wasn't looking so I cant be sure.

I friggin hate updates sometimes....

post-76930-1199873345_thumb.png

post-76930-1199873525_thumb.png

Edited by kartel

I've run repair before going into safe mode, so I've killed all the updates... Not sure if I want to try to install them before more ppl install them. If it's widespread issues, we'll hear more of it ;)

Yes, my Vista system crashed, too, following the January 7, 2008 updates. :wacko:

Same sysptoms: boot, Please wait..., Configuring updates..., CRASH ! :whistle:

Mine is x86 Vista Enterprise with a single-core x64 AMD processor and 1 GB memory.

Safe mode did the same thing. :rolleyes:

Using the installation CD-ROM, I did a Restore to previous date, twice ! :ph34r:

Since the second Restore, I have disabled updates. :realmad:

Fortunately, I have a dual-boot system that helped me get some work done

between Restores. (Do not ask what the reliable OS is, on this forum.) :thumbup

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a Dell notebook, and all drivers installed are from Dell web-site, except for graphics, which is nvidia (I have nvidia graphics chipset, 8400gs). I guess I could swap back to dell nvidia driver and see what happens :) Hopefully, it'll fix the problem

Didn't work. I've updated drivers, no dice, still crashes. I decided to install updates one by one and found out that KB943899 is the culprit. It's supposed to be a reliability update! What a load of crock, it fubars my Vista installation instead of making it more 'reliable'. Jeez! :(

Edit: I've done some research, apparently MS replaces Intel SATA AHCI driver with that update, and it crashes on reboot on notebook drives (dell in particular). WTF was MS thinking when designing such an update?

Edited by zetto

Edit: I've done some research, apparently MS replaces Intel SATA AHCI driver with that update, and it crashes on reboot on notebook drives (dell in particular). WTF was MS thinking when designing such an update?

I don't know, but it looks like the intelide.sys driver is updated as provided by the vendor. Perhaps they were thinking that a driver written to the API specifications shouldn't crash when the kernel underneath it is updated? It wouldn't be the first time a driver vendor's bugginess was brought about during a kernel update... :). Sorry to hear about your problems though - you should definitely make Microsoft aware of the crashes, because if you've got a bug and you don't report it, it's less likely to get fixed.

Yes, my Vista system crashed, too, following the January 7, 2008 updates. :wacko:

Same sysptoms: boot, Please wait..., Configuring updates..., CRASH !

Mine is x86 Vista Enterprise with a single-core x64 AMD processor and 1 GB memory.

Safe mode did the same thing.

Using the installation CD-ROM, I did a Restore to previous date, twice !

Since the second Restore, I have disabled updates.

Fortunately, I have a dual-boot system that helped me get some work done

between Restores. (Do not ask what the reliable OS is, on this forum.)

Jeez,, what kind of mizérè could happen?

Yes. installed Vista yesterday again after killing it. Why? I will never give up. The problems I encounter with Vista are in real time not such bad as I guess.

I'll give it a very last try.

Oké, maybe I can help some. I'll post my update history and with this list I had no issues.

Compaire it to yours and it should be exact the same.

Second, check your eventviewer and post these errors, why? because you could look with each other is the errors where common!

Like the update list here

Just a hint ;)

AMD64 3800+

4x1 GB DDR1

ATi X1950XT

ASUS A8R-MVP (A miracle it works, the reviews are bad)

knipsel989.png

The last won't fix on my 1680x1050 screen. Aero don't let be by to size it up. Another bug found?

(Do not ask what the reliable OS is, on this forum.)

Yes, and stick with the one what fit your needs ;) It is true he said...

Edited by Extravert

• 4 weeks later...

i installed the updates not long ago cause i just got internet back at my house earlier today and when i went to restart my laptop it was just ablack screen let it sit for 20 minutes still black screen and i need this laptop for two school projects. my teachers arent gonna believe the whole my laptop crashed thing :unsure: . so i need a quick way to access my files and i dont get the safe mode start thign either and i never got a vista installation disc with my laptop purchase (**** staples) any quick tips to recover the files? or anyone know where i can get a install disc cheap?

i installed the updates not long ago cause i just got internet back at my house earlier today and when i went to restart my laptop it was just ablack screen let it sit for 20 minutes still black screen and i need this laptop for two school projects. my teachers arent gonna believe the whole my laptop crashed thing :unsure: . so i need a quick way to access my files and i dont get the safe mode start thign either and i never got a vista installation disc with my laptop purchase (**** staples) any quick tips to recover the files? or anyone know where i can get a install disc cheap?

Sounds like the HDD is bad. Or you have a corrupted MBR, likely from a virus or malware.