Random POST when inside case...

Justas

Happy new years!

I have been working on a specific computer for awhile and it has been very frustrating.

The machine will POST randomly while placed in the case, the longest run of continuous POST was 2 weeks. However it will sometimes fail then will not POST again for a long time, or until it has been removed from the case. I have tried new motherboard/CPU inside the case with a new PSU. That worked, but eventually failed. The original board/CPU would POST out of the system more frequently, but still would stop POSTing. The new board will always POST first try with the new and old CPU outside of the case. (Normally the old one would have to sit for 20-30min outside if it did not POST the first attempt)

I thought there was a short in the case so I made sure that all screws had the non-conductive rings between the screws and board to prevent any short from there. However that did not help. Also I removed the original PSU from the case, which also did not affect the situation.

Other components I have tried replacing to have it work was video card and memory. However those also, eventually, caused the same problems as the old components.

I just finished changing the case a little, the only thing left from the old case is the top and front. Nothing is connected, but still nothing works.

Any comments or advice would be useful. So far all components have worked for certain periods of time but always seemed to fail.

Sorry if this is hard to read or disorganized lol, just rying to POST this in free time while I am building up some computers...

Is the board in the same position when you try it inside and ouside the case ? I mean vertical/horizontal, in case the processor and cooler were pulled by gravity a different way. Does the processor fan spin normally untill it goes off ?

The processor is steady at 40 degrees when I can POST it. It is always horizontal when I am using it and the fan never stops spinning. The computer just does not complete POST and sit there idle. At the moment it seems to be working again with new PSU, CPU, motherboard, and most new parts of a scrap case. However it also worked fine for 2 weeks at one point then ended up coming back and I am still not 100% convinced this problem will be fixed by replacing parts like that.

Surges are an obvious concern with this system. They might not have it on proper protection and there might be some bad voltages that are preventing the board from booting up completely.

Hopefully this goes well... this system is a system from hell lol