Help with recovering data.

BradBo

I dont see why a program like R-Studio cant just rebuild the MFT or maybe even the partition table rather then having to go through a 1:1 copy.

Just replace the lost table, it could simply re-read whats there and rebuild the location of all the files.

Just an opinion.

Like I said. Any new data you write may overwrite the old data. If the drive was mostly full when you borked it, then the chances of writing over old stuff (as opposed to writing over empty space) increases.

The whole point of a 1:1 copy is that, much of this recovery software is not as reliable and effective as they want you to think. Sometimes it can do nothing at all or do something bad.

There is a strong chance that it will not work, that's why you need a clone to mess around with. When stuff goes wrong and the clone is screwed, you delete the clone and make a new one.

If you mess around with the original and things go wrong... bye bye.

If you want a simpler program to use, try handy recovery after you make the copy.

I used that and got some good results. It didn't recover everything, but I think it was my fault since I overwrote some of the old data.

How does a HD store data and why is hard to recover

When you delete something it marks it as delete but the truth is the file is there.

It is until you add something to the drive it writes to that same spot as the drive. This is why if you preview incomplete videos you will see parts of other video data that was previously stored.

however zero filling the drive and thus marking everything in zero will completely render most data to be recovered.

What is zero filling?

Is how you or anybody else want to perminantly delete data by marking it zeros.

Magnatising and demaganatising.

Is done with a special magnet that makes all ++++ and - - - - point into one direction and thus complete wipe the drive clean but it can perminantly damage the drive.

Data recovery software

The one I use is "Recover My Files Plus" and like other people said you need to wait until you can see everything then thing is you can't save to that same partitian. However I have been unsucesfull fully recovering a video clip big like 200MB or even 700MB. You need a descrambler for bigger files.

Remember the bigger and more safisticated a file the harder it is to recover. Video and Audio files is compressed. Word files tends to be small and image files can recover but the image might be missing BITS and thus parts will be lost forever and can be seen easily.

Why can't my computer read a partitian

FAT32 can only read FAT32 and FAT16

NTFS can only read NTFS

etc whatever Linux, Unix, Playstation , Apple, and any other OS/Format can read can read it's own.

The only way you can view files and use them freely if the OS or you install a format reader which is somewhere on these forums.

There is billions and billlions of format types like the so called FAT64 that can read over 4gigs and Win98 was adjusted to write on FAT64 it would slove many problems or even Green-Ray and Yellow-Ray which is going to take over blu-ray along with other format types that is "exprimental" or "unreleased" dew to consumer copying.

Even TAPE can have these or any other format/storage types.

Why can't my computer read a partitian

FAT32 can only read FAT32 and FAT16

NTFS can only read NTFS

Are you sure? :w00t:

Maybe you mean:

DOS up to version 7 (up to Windows 95 first release) FAT 12 and FAT 16

DOS from 7.1 up to 8.0 (Windows 95 OEM 2 to Millennium) FAT12, FAT 16 and FAT32

NT 3.1 to 4.00 FAT 12, FAT 16 and NTFS (version 3)

NT 4.00 SP 4 FAT 12, FAT 16 and NTFS (version 3.1) PARTIAL support

Windows 2000 FAT 12, FAT 16, FAT32 and NTFS (version 3.1)

Windows XP and Server 2003 FAT 12, FAT 16, FAT32 and NTFS (version 3.1)

Windows Vista FAT 12, FAT 16, FAT32 and NTFS (version ?) + exFAT64

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I went through most of the freeware programs digeratiprime listed.

The problem I found was some of them were a bit complicated, or let’s say, they weren’t GUI based.

I’m kind of an advanced novice (and after this experience, Im finding just how much of a novice at computers I really am!!) and I think I prefer a more Windows like environment.

One or two programs that were GUI based, didn’t even see the drive at all;PCInspector.

So I downloaded the demo version of R-Studio.

OMG, it took me two days to get it scanned then the files re-associated.

I work all day and only have an hour or two at night to deal with this.

It just took forever.

The frustrating thing was, it did see and scan the drive and after re-associating the files it looked like everything was there, nothing was lost.

So I couldn’t easily figure out how to make a back-up to a new 500gig drive I just bought so I clicked the Help Menu option.

Then R-Studio quite responding, I had to shut it down totally.

I did save an image file after the first scan but I could figure out how to use that.

Sooooo, rather than sitting through hours of a re-scan, I need to print up the complete R-Studio help manual and learn how to do this thing.

I do like the fact that the program seem to work and seem to be very accurate.

I’m getting' there.

I was so glad that I was at least able to see that I still owned all my music and photos, it’s just getting to them now.

Brad

When scanning large discs in R-Studio I usually stop the scan occasionally and "Save Scan Information" and then scan again and it will resume from that point. I do this in case the program exits, which has happened a couple of times, and so i can disconnect the drive and perform the recovery later. Keep us informed :)

Thanks everybody.

Great advice and a total sucess!!!!

I bought R-Studio NTFS and was able to get back all my pictures and music.

It was a well spent 50 bucks!!!

Theres also a ton of interesting things to learn from this process.

Thanks again.

brad

All the excellent suggestions have been posted already, but if it cant recover the files you can always send it to ontrack. We've had backup data at work from about 10 years ago in RAM drives, cd's, dvd's and newer backup tape media and they have been able to recover it. it's pricey but they'll let you know the cost before they recover anything. You ship the drive, they attempt to recover, they let you know the $$$ and you say yay or nay.

http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/

good luck

Hey, I did have great success but I did also have one hitch.

I have 2 large files one 7gig one 15 gig that R-Studio gives me a warning that there is not enough room.

Theres plenty of room on the traget disk (over 300gigs) but R-Studio will not recover these two files.

Their Acronis files with a .tib extension.

Any idea why R-Studio cant recover those?