Windows 2003 Server

N1K

I have one server which is in DMZ. I'd like to patch it but since it's in DMZ he can't access the internet or WSUS server on our network.

I've downloaded all updates that I need for it and now I'd like to know if can run automatic update somehow instead of running every update manually, one by one smile.gif

There's about 150 hotfixes to be installed and big part of them are already installed.. How can I install updates automatically from one folder, is that possible?

Thx

You can set a local policy object that points to your WSUS server. The only thing is it needs to be

able to do is resolve the name (dns, wins, local hosts file) and connect on

whatever http port wsus is running on.

No the problem is that DMZ to LAN traffic is obviously blocked so a policy would not work, however a very tight temporary firewall rule might do the trick.

Or the safer option, can you physically unplug this server and connect it to the LAN temporarily?

Well, configuring the firewall to allow port 80 traffic to/from the machine in the DMZ's IP address would do the trick. He may have to put the WSUS server's name in the HOSTS file if DNS lookups will fail from the DMZ, but otherwise you only need port 80 (or 443, if you configured WSUS to use SSL).

How can I install updates automatically from one folder, is that possible?

Just use a .cmd file with these commands:

for %%i in (*.exe) do (
start /wait %%i /q /n /z
erase %%i)

Place it in your updates folder and execute at will. It'll delete any update once it has been applied.