USB problems

dwarfer

This computer originally had Windows 98SE and although power was getting to the USB ports (lights blinking on memory sticks) but there were no drivers installed. I installed Windows 2000 over this thinking it would automatically pick up and install the ports but however it hasn't. There doesn't seem to be any power getting to the ports at all now (though I will try with more devices later) and nothing is showing up in the device manager.

The motherboard is an Iwill ALADDIN5 - I don't know the exact version or anything but from the googling I've done it seems as though Iwill don't exist anymore.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Hmmm .....

Aladdin 5 ..... brings back fond old memories with my p5a-b ... :wub:

Let me make some quick guesses here ... Iwill aladdin 5 based mboard is a super socket 7. I bet it came with either a pentium mmx or an amd k6-2 (or perhaps k6-3) or it could even be a Cyrix MII ... Depending on the onboard cache size it can be snappy upto 256MB ram ... It'll go downhill if you don't adhere to the cacheable range sizes ...

Anyway, what I'm about to tell you must be taken with a pinch of salt ... There have been many reported problems with ALI usb implementation as can be found here (for example):

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/ali_tips_and_tricks.htm

Look for some pointers at the site above for getting Ali usb ports to work. Sometimes Ali usb ports doesn't properly work due to conflict in BIOS settings. Sometimes its plain luck (due to various bios settings differences, design, implementation, bla bla bla) ..... I've had mixed results (most are good anyway) when using win98se with ALi usb ports but YMMV ...

At any rate, I would recommend reverting back to windows 98se as the ALi usb chipset is properly recognized there. It's also a much lesser burden overall for the old workhorse to handle ... To get your usb storage device to work, install NUSB which you can find in the sticky section or here :

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

Rgds

Thanks for the reply.

I got them to work. In the on Bios the 'On board USB chip' was disabled so all I did was enable it and now windows has picked the ports up and they're working no problem.

Edited by dwarfer