installed xp and now i can't boot into vista please help

cassy309

hi everyone i installed windows xp on a notebook that already had vista installed i used nlite to make an iso cd to install xp i installed xp but now i can't boot into vista and i just moved so i cannot locate my vista cd or recovery cd to fix this is there anything i can do?

did you dual boot your system? was XP installed on another partition? if XP was not installed into a 2nd partition it most likely overwrote the vista installation.

xp is installed on another partition that i made vista is on C:/ and windows xp is on F:/ i can see partiton C:/ when i go to my computer but when i boot the notebook up it boots up to windows xp. and i have no drivers for ethernet controller,pci device,Sm bus controller,video controller,and video controller (vga compatible) i know where to get them from but everytime i try to install it it wants to install on the C:/ partition shrunk my c drive and it has three partitions now recovery vista and xp.

Edited by cassy309

Did you really expect to be able to dual-boot automatically, without any effort, to create a dual-boot, by just installing XP when Vista was installed first?

Download EasyBCD and install it in XP. It will allow you to fix your bootloader and add XP to your boot menu.

Check my signature to be able to dual-boot with Grub4Dos. It's worth a try.

Did you really expect to be able to dual-boot automatically, without any effort, to create a dual-boot, by just installing XP when Vista was installed first?

Download EasyBCD and install it in XP. It will allow you to fix your bootloader and add XP to your boot menu.

Check my signature to be able to dual-boot with Grub4Dos. It's worth a try.

thanks and no i did not expect it to dual-boot on it's own i though that i could just install EASYBCD but since i have no drivers i can't install any updates when i try to install the EASYBCD it's saying san unexpected error occured.

Dunno if this would work (don't know much about Vista), but you might try running DiskPart from a Command Prompt and setting the C-drive as Active (if it isn't). Also sometimes the Recovery Partition can be set to Active, and use the Recovery procedures (hopefully not completely wiping/reinstalling C-drive).

Your setup appears to be -

C = Vista

D = Recovery

E = (CD/DVD?)

F = XP (currently Active?)

Again, no knowledge of Vista, but do you have a Boot Selection (as in pressing F8) that's not showing? If so, may get lucky (depending on how vastly different Vista's Boot Loader stuff is from XP)...

:unsure:

Dunno if this would work (don't know much about Vista), but you might try running DiskPart from a Command Prompt and setting the C-drive as Active (if it isn't). Also sometimes the Recovery Partition can be set to Active, and use the Recovery procedures (hopefully not completely wiping/reinstalling C-drive).

Your setup appears to be -

C = Vista

D = Recovery

E = (CD/DVD?)

F = XP (currently Active?)

Again, no knowledge of Vista, but do you have a Boot Selection (as in pressing F8) that's not showing? If so, may get lucky (depending on how vastly different Vista's Boot Loader stuff is from XP)...

:unsure:

yup thats the way i am set up but i managed to install vista boot pro and i am not booting up into vista now but the first time i tried to install the vista boot pro it said that i needed .net framework 2.0 so i downloaded it and burned it to a cd and installed it then i installed the vista boot pro now i just have to get it to dualboot and then i have to find a way to get the drivers for the xp partition that i mentioned earlier thanks anyway.

It won't matter what partition is active. By installing XP, his MBR has been changed to look for ntldr, not bootmgr.

(I'm not sure why you are mentioning not being able to install drivers. I don't think that would be an issue to installing EasyBCD. I may be missing something here.)

If EasyBCD doesn't work, then try VistaBootPro. It does the same thing.

If that doesn't work, check the pinned topics (How to Install XP after Vista and fix the bootloader.)

As a last resort, try the following trick (only as a last resort): set you Vista partition as active. Then reame bootmgr as ntldr. You might be able to boot Vista that way. Then, fix what you need to in Vista by installing EasyBCD or VistaBootPro and add XP to it. It may work. Make sure you backup the files before doing this. Also, I recommend making a boot Vista boot floppy (which can boot Vista or XP). I have a post on how to do this (use the search function to find it). This floppy is handy when you screw up.

Edit: Oh, btw, all EasyBCD and VistaBootPro do to fix the bootloade is run the commnad: bootsect.exe -NT60 All. So, to avoid all and any unnecessary steps, you just need this file called bootsect.exe and run that from the command prompt. This file is included in the Vista DVD and is packaged with EasyBCD and VistaBootPro. You may want to investigate if it can be extracted from the install packages. Or maybe it's extracted to the temp folder during the installation process.

Edited by spacesurfer

It won't matter what partition is active. By installing XP, his MBR has been changed to look for ntldr, not bootmgr.
Thought that might be the case... Hopefully your recommendations will get the problem fixed. At least my previous post prompted further insight/suggestions.

C-ya! :D

i thank all of you the issue with the drivers is every time i install them they go to the c drive instead of f now that i am back on the vista side i just have to dual-boot it now and btw you've all helped me out i can't find my vista cd because i just moved trust me i have looked all over for it is there a way i can do a boot menu without it i know i can use vista boot pro but do i have to install it on the vista side because it's already installed on the xp side and i know if i re-start it will just take me back to vista.