Vista Help Needed!

Phoneguy

Ok, I leave my computer on pretty much 24x7. I am running a Dell XPS Gen3, with Windows Vista Ultimate installed on it. It went into stand bye sometime yesterday and when I went back to it last night all that would come up after getting it out of stand bye and after multiple reboots is a black screen and a my documents window open. I have tried everything that I know to restore things nothing works. I am able to still use the computer, it is like running without a desk top and if I close the windows then I have to logoff or restart it to get it back. In the event log I see an entry the ATBROKER failed to start and that the file may be corrupt. Is this the problem and is there anyway to fix it? Please help.

Sorry I took so long to reply I have been swamped at work. First I uninstalled all of the updates listed, it was no help. Second answer this is the first time this has happened at it is only on this machine, I have one other desktop running 64bit Vista Ultimate, and a Dell laptop running Vista Business none of these systems are having or have had this problem. Third answer, the explorer process is already running. I have tried to restart everything and it hasn't helped. My computer is still usable but it lacks a desktop, I have to shut it down through task manager, because there is no task bar jus a black screen. Right now I have been able to back up all of my information and have come to the conclusion that I have to reformat and reinstall the OS, but I am now curious as to what caused this and how to fix it. Thank you for you suggestions and keep them coming I don't want to kill it if I don't have to.

most probably u hav been hit by virus/worm. end the explorer process, then start another 1... then use ur antivirus to scan. :)

last time my sis pc oso show just black screen with only documents folder auto appear when boot to desktop.