Unofficial Windows 95 Service Pack Availability?

lightninglord2000

Is there a compilation of updates or 'autopatcher' for Windows 95 particularly Win95 OSR2.5 (kind of like Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English) for Windows 95 (OSR 2.5))? I know Microsoft already dropped support for this OS. I'm just curious if such a tool exist to make it 'updated'.

Edited by lightninglord2000

I too have thought about this! For instance, If I change some network setting, w95 throw a lot of questions if I want to keep upgraded stuff, and I might click the wrong button. Upgrading the windows cab files would be nice.

Erpman (known as erpdude8 here at MSFN) has created such a pack. He calls it the Unofficial Windows 95 OSR2 Update Rollup Pack 1.0. It's currently a Release Candidate (e.g., not a full and final release), so take care.

Look here:

http://erpman1.tripod.com/win95upd.html

It's halfway down the page, under the heading "Other Updates & add-ons for Windows 95 SP1 & OSR2".

Erpman (known as erpdude8 here at MSFN) has created such a pack. He calls it the Unofficial Windows 95 OSR2 Update Rollup Pack 1.0. It's currently a Release Candidate (e.g., not a full and final release), so take care.

Look here:

http://erpman1.tripod.com/win95upd.html

It's halfway down the page, under the heading "Other Updates & add-ons for Windows 95 SP1 & OSR2".

You can also find the unofficial OSR2 URP at MDGx's web site:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/OSR2URP1.EXE

I will be releasing OSR2 URP 1.0 RC2 sometime next week. I DO plan to release an unofficial OSR2 SP by this summer of 2008. Unlike the URP (which give you NO options of what to install or not), the SP will give you options to install certain components just like with my unofficial Win98fe SP.

• 1 month later...
I DO plan to release an unofficial OSR2 SP by this summer of 2008. Unlike the URP (which give you NO options of what to install or not), the SP will give you options to install certain components just like with my unofficial Win98fe SP.

slight change of plans. an alpha release of the unofficial Win95 OSR2.x SP may be due out sometime this April. I have not decided when the beta and final releases of the SP will be ready.

btw - final release of the unofficial OSR2 URP pack is available at MDGx's web site.

That could work for a couple updates, yeah. Though I don't think it would work for big things like the DCOM95 1.3 package.

So how about making it semi-slipstreamed?

For most Win95 hotfixes, yes they can be slipstreamed to some sort. You'll have to copy your original OSR2 setup files onto the hard drive first, then put the updated files into the folder where you saved your setup files. That way OSR2 setup should copy the updated files rather than getting them from the original setup CAB files. It certainly won't work with the Dcom95, DirectX8 & other addons.

Edited by erpdude8

You'll have to copy your original OSR2 setup files onto the hard drive first, then put the updated files into the folder where you saved your setup files. That way OSR2 setup should copy the updated files rather than getting them from the original setup CAB files.

Or you can put them inside the cabinet files and change the size in setuppp.inf

• 2 months later...

Unofficial Windows 95 OSR2.x Service Pack 1.0 alpha 1 (link expired; no longer available)

known issues/problems-

-The WinTop files are there but there's no option to install them

-the UniModemV drivers option does not work correctly; SP prompts for the files

-when installing WMP 6.4 build 1129 on some clean OSR2 systems w/out IE, some files are not registered correctly and display error messages

I'll get most of these problems fixed in the next alpha release which is coming early next week.

Or you can put them inside the cabinet files and change the size in setuppp.inf

yup. best to use either cabarc.exe or makecab.exe to accomplish this.

Edited by erpdude8

when installing WMP 6.4 build 1129 on some clean OSR2 systems w/out IE, some files are not registered correctly and display error messages

WMP 6.4 needs IE installed. Version 6.1 was the last to get by without it.

WMP 6.4 needs IE installed. Version 6.1 was the last to get by without it.

I won't include WMP 6.1 in the SP though. But WMP 6.4 works okay with OSR2 & embedded IE3. And version 6.4 only requires a FEW IE files, not the whole IE browser set which doesn't bother me. I'll have the WMP install issue resolved soon.

Link to Unofficial Win95 OSR2 SP 1.0 alpha 2:

http://www.usaupload.net/d/10hd225g9uv

changes:

-fixed Wintop installation problem; option to install Wintop is now available

-fixed UniModemV 4.10.1343 driver install problem

I will only provide the unofficial OSR2 service pack in English language and not in any-non English languages. But I do welcome those who want to translate the SP into any language they desire.

Edited by erpdude8

I won't include WMP 6.1 in the SP though.

at least...not in the full version of the service pack. I may have plans to develop two editions of the SP, one full and one lite. Media Player 6.1 will most likely be included in the "lite" edition of the osr2 service pack while the "full" edition will have Media Player 6.4.

planned schedule for upcoming releases of the unofficial osr2 service pack [you guys can figure this out]:

-beta releases - middle/late summer 2008 (like mid-July to late September)

-RC releases - fall 2008 (like from early October to early December)

-final release - end of 2008 or start of 2009

Edited by erpdude8

• 4 months later...