Windows 98 in '08

CooledComputer

This is probably my first post :)

I'm running 98se now. I prefer it to all the other os/s bar linux. I wont go live on the 'net with a windows product, but prefer to 'hide' behind a linux server/gateway package , e-smith/sme 7.x here

http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page

as I find most hacking programs use win based written hacking tools which generally stop at the firewall, with some exceptions, of course.

I cut my teeth in dos 3.11 thru 6.22, (with windows 3.11), begrudgingly upgraded to win 95b, and then to 98se. I prefer to have total system control at the dos level. I only upgraded bcoz my netscape browser wouldnt connect ne more to the sites that i needed to access.

Without sites like this, I believe all would be lost. So keep up the good work, all of you, and may win98 rule long into the distant future.

?did I setup a .sig?

my apologies if this appears twice..

----

Regards,

Louis

:)

Hi,

I do (my first post) on k62 450 mb(video encoding) with waterfall.

Got a 2nd hand board(sempron 2800-ecs via chipset). See that waterfall does not work well and cpu core temp (speedfan) is 37deg as compared to xp(32-33 deg).kcpu cooler seems not to run well with the amd cool and quiet driver.So forced to use xp.

regards

Hi,

I do (my first post) on k62 450 mb(video encoding) with waterfall.

Got a 2nd hand board(sempron 2800-ecs via chipset). See that waterfall does not work well and cpu core temp (speedfan) is 37deg as compared to xp(32-33 deg).kcpu cooler seems not to run well with the amd cool and quiet driver.So forced to use xp.

regards

I still use Win98SE (actually 98SE2ME) on my secondary computer (Tyan S2495 with Athlon XP3000 CPU, 756 meg. RAM). My main computer has Win2K on it. I do a lot of transferring VHS to DVD and the 4 gb. file size limitation of Win 9x would be a problem.

I still like to use Win 98, just to resist the attitude pushed on us of 'you must have' the latest and greatest OS.

My main computer has Win2K on it. I do a lot of transferring VHS to DVD and the 4 gb. file size limitation of Win 9x would be a problem.

The 4 GB file limit is because of FAT32, not Windows 98. But, because you cannot use NTFS with Windows 98, you're SOL.

Also, when doing benchmark tests, Windows 2000 is better than Windows 98 on AMD systems, at least with socket A. *

*UPDATE.SYS DON'T SUPPORT AMD PROCESSORS WITH WINDOWS 98!*

Thus, Intels outperform AMDs with Windows 98!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I use 98SE because is a fast. I think that this system need to remove some unused code, to add some a new gui or to make a some compatibility with a new app and will be great!

NEXT 10 YEARS TO ALL!

Edited by nspp

The 4 GB file limit is because of FAT32, not Windows 98. But, because you cannot use NTFS with Windows 98, you're SOL.

It's a W98 limit too. W9x uses a 32 bit filepointer to keep track of the read/write location in the file. This limits the filesize to 4GiB. Fat32 uses a 32 bit field to store the filesize, which gives the same limit.

It's a W98 limit too. W9x uses a 32 bit filepointer to keep track of the read/write location in the file. This limits the filesize to 4GiB. Fat32 uses a 32 bit field to store the filesize, which gives the same limit.

How the he** do you guys burn DVDs? :o

Edited by idisjunction

W9x cannot handle an ISO bigger than 4 GiB. But a DVD is generally build of several files, each <4GiB, which is no problem. A movie on a standard video DVD is chopped in several files of 1 GiB or less. This is done to be compatible with OSs which cannot handle very big files. This is not only W9x, but also the OS of a standalone DVD player.

As long as you don't try to fit the contents of a DVD in a single file, handling a DVD is no problem. It's just another filesystem, just like FAT32, which has a limit (on W9x) of 2 TiB, 4 GiB per file.

I just refurbished a PIII with ME on it for games, mostly to keep my family away from my XP computer. I bought the ME disk when it first came out, used it for a week and reinstalled 98SE. I was surprised to see what ME is like with all the updates from Microsoft as well as ATI’s video drivers from 2005. I hadn’t realized this OS had been tweaked and tuned to run this well. Of course there’s still the problem of ME being unhip so I made a Vista like startup screen and removed “Windows Millennium” from the start menu so now it’s cool. :D

My Frankenstein machine in the basement still runs 98se. I use it for my experiments with the projects found on this forum. I’ve killed it a few times with my hardware mods but thanks to EBay I can still find all the parts I need to bring it back to life. I’ve spent about 75 dollars total on these two old machines so 98xx has the best bang for the buck of any OS.

I hope everyone here keeps up the good work so I can still be running 98se for years to come.

Edited by Sysdll

I use windows 98se all the time. I love it. i find that xp is ok but it doesn't feel the same. As for vista i couldn't even use it for 10 min with out geting frustrated. windows 98 serves all my computing purposes just fine. I recently got a Thinkpad T30 i installed windows 98 on it and it works great.

Keep windows 98 alive!!!!!

Well the only reason I need not to use 98 is the file size limit over 4 GIGS and that is about it. I am considering moving to MSX or even AppleII. Speaking of Apple I might need a OSX or G3 machine later.

Soooooo in short there is no reason not to use 98 at all since hey the OS rules and has tons of support the only thing better is WINE if I ever decide to start using Linux or even Unix. Then again Sun BSos and so on.

So in short 98 for everything since I can't afford or am to lazy to learn how to operate anything else :thumbup