Lost Vista x64 boot disk, can I repair it?

MarkJohnson

I've been having compatiblility issues with Vista x64 lately and decided to install my two older 36gb raptors to install XP Pro to run my other programs.

After installing the drives I reboot to vista to format them and get them ready for the install process. but low and behold my Vista won't boot up. it gets to the scrolling progress bar of it starting up and it never progresses past that and the bar just keeps scrolling forever. I figure no problem, I probably bumped the SATA connector loose(I wish they would make a better and studier SATA connector that clips on instead of just pushing on and praying gravity is enough to hold it on.) I restart with the same result. I then look at it better and see t is kind of wabbly and decide to put my new silverstone SATA connector on and grab my flashlight to see better. I then push on the old SATA connector to examine how loose it is and ZAP! A static discharge. The drive is so close to my video card(about 1/4 inch and runs into the PCIe connector wires) and it arced out on the PCIe power connector solder joints of the video card. I reboot and sure enough, no video.

I pull out my backup eVGA 7800GTX and disconnect the Vista drives then start to install XP Pro on my old 36GB Raptors and order me a new eVGA 8800GT 512mb card while patiently waiting. after XP Pro is installed updated I hook up my Vista drives again and it just won't boot at all, not even to the progress bar. I switch back to boot from the XP drives and it starts a scan on my Vista drives and finds an error but doesn't report anything other than it fixed something. I then have it boot into vista and hope it works, it gets past the scrolling bars and then the screen goes blank for a longer than usual time and then I see the cursor and then remmeber I have switched video cards and it needs to update the drivers. unfortunately it just sits at the blank screen forever, but the mouse cursor works fine, it just won't progress on the boot.

I figure at this point it must be a driver conflict since I had an 8800GTS before I blew it up. so I whip out the Vista DVD and boot up to try and repair and it says the startup portion is fine, I try system restore, but forgot I turned it off. none of the other options seemed to help me either.

If anyone can help me recover this I'd be forever greatful. I have this XP drive I could use if I need to work from here to recover, or I can install Vista on this RAID to recover the Vista on the other RAID.

-=Mark=-

Could you not just boot into vista in safemode, then you can uninstall the drivers, restart and install the new card? :thumbup

Unfortunately it won't boot into safe mode. I just ended up setting up XP on the other drive and saving all I could and just reformatted and reinstalled Vista yet again.

Thanks for the help

-=Mark=-